Hey TBC’ers! Welcome to another tip. Today we will focus on importing scan data and images collected with the new Trimble X12 3D laser scanning system. The Trimble X12 provides two files for import into TBC for processing. These files are organized in two formats as follows:
- .tos file containing 3D points
- .toi file containing images for point cloud colorization
When you select an import folder in the Import pane, the software analyzes the files in that folder to match each file type with an appropriate importer. If a file is marked as "unknown", you may need to create a custom importer for that file.
Note: The following procedure explains how to import data using the Import pane. As an alternative, you can drag and drop files onto a graphic or spreadsheet view to import data into your project. However, if you use the drag-and-drop method, you are not able to view import settings and make changes if necessary. The default settings will be used.
Importing Point Cloud Files via TBC Menu
Home - > Import
Navigate to the desired folder and select OK
Select the desired point cloud file and select IMPORT
You're all set, enjoy the wide array of functionalities and workflows that TBC has to offer.
Pictured Below: Red Rocks ColoradoProject Imports
To import data into a project:
- Select Import in Home > Data Exchange.
The Import dialog displays.
- In the Import Folder list, select the folder containing the files you want to import , or click the Browse button to browse for a folder.
The files contained in the selected folder appear in the Select File(s) list.
1. Optionally, enter into the Filter field a text string that you want to use to filter the displayed file list.
2. Optionally, to display only those files for which the software can determine an appropriate importer, click the Show only known file types icon located at the top of the Import pane. For information on specifically supported file formats, see Import Data Formats.
3. Optionally, to change the file type for any file in the Select Files list, right-click the file and select an option from the Set File Type list. The options that are offered are based on the file's extension and an analysis of the file.
- Select the files you want to import in the Select Files list.
To import more than one file, use [Ctrl] + click or [Shift] + click. However, note that the order in which you import data can affect the project computation results.
- Optionally, to view the contents of a file in the Select Files list, select the file and click the View File icon located at the top of the Import pane.
- In the Settings section at the bottom of the Import pane, view the import settings and make changes if necessary.
- Click Import.
- To view an Import Summary report, select Report Options > Import Report.
Note: When you import a Trimble Survey Controller Job (.job) file, Trimble Access Job file, or any JobXML (.jxl) file, a project subfolder is created in the project folder to contain the imported data file and any referenced photo image files. (For other file types, all files are imported directly into the project folder, not a subfolder.) This ensures that when multiple files of the same type are imported, any referenced image files with the same name are stored separately and cannot be overwritten.
Interested in seeing a live demonstration of this procedure? Visit our TBC YouTube channel and watch the latest tutorial! Available: https://youtu.be/rqVB9FChXAY
You're all set! Maximize your TBC experience and ensure smooth workflows by utilizing learning & support material most aligned with your needs and personal preferences.
To download the latest version of TBC, you can head to https://trimble.com/downloadTBC.
Complete free self-paced workflow-based courses with hands-on guided software experiences on Learn.Trimble: https://learn.trimble.com/pages/422/trimble-business-center-tbc
For additional learning content, visit our TBC Survey and Construction YouTube page: