Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

What is TIFFTAG_IMAGEDESCRIPTION from Trimble software?

• 1.  What is TIFFTAG_IMAGEDESCRIPTION from Trimble software?

Posted 07-14-2020 01:36
      |   view attached

Hello all!
    I have tiff files created in the Trimble Germany GmbH software.
    I wonder what could be inscribed in TIFFTAG_IMAGEDESCRIPTION, where the value is: "85 4".
    This tiff file has "YCbCr JPEG" compression, so I'm wondering that maybe this 85 is a quality of the image? 

In the attachment, I upload a screenshot from the QGiS program.

• 2.  Re: What is TIFFTAG_IMAGEDESCRIPTION from Trimble software?

Posted 07-14-2020 05:57

Which software are you using from Trimble Germany GmbH, if not Trimble Business Center / UAS Master you may need to contact the Survey Dealer in Germany or Trimble Geospatial Division for assistance as I only work with Trimble Business Center. If UAS Master can you give me more details on the Image and how it was captured - is it a flight photo captured by a drone or a terrestrial photo captured with a controller device, scanner or camera / phone etc. or an ortho mosaic created by Trimble Business Center from imported image data etc.

This may be a question for the Geospatial group as they handle most of the Scanners and Drones etc at Trimble.

Alan

• 3.  Re: What is TIFFTAG_IMAGEDESCRIPTION from Trimble software?

Posted 07-16-2020 01:08

Hi Rafal,

typically when using Inpho software from Trimble Germany GmbH we add to the TIFF "Image Description" an XML-Text:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
    <ImageAttributes>
     <QFactor>85</QFactor>
     <KernelSize>4</KernelSize>
    </ImageAttributes>

QFactor 85 is our default value for the JPEG QFactor as you already guessed right.
    KernelSize 4 is the size of the kernel filter (see e.g. https://towardsdatascience.com/deciding-optimal-filter-size-for-cnns-d6f7b56f9363 ) used for our pyramid generation. 
    I do not know why QGIS doesn't read the XML format in the Image Description correctly, but I hope this helped.

• 4.  Re: What is TIFFTAG_IMAGEDESCRIPTION from Trimble software?

Posted 07-17-2020 11:45

Thank you very much for your help!