Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

v5.20 - Ortho mode not functioning as expected

• 1.  v5.20 - Ortho mode not functioning as expected

Posted 12-10-2019 03:54

Has something changed in v5.20? Or am I doing something wrong?

Everytime I use ortho mode (shift or the icon right below), the next point in my linestring is drawn in a totally different location than where I clicked. And I don't mean millimetres away, but several centimeters or meters, even in a totally different direction (I click on the right side and get a line to the left...). I've already turned 'snap' almost completly off (just kept 'free', then I even turned that of...).

I've noticed that there is a dashed line to the left of my cross-hair and that my point is somehow 'projected' (?) on that line. Can I turn this off?

Apparently this issue doesn't come up with polylines.

• 2.  Re: v5.20 - Ortho mode not functioning as expected

Posted 12-10-2019 15:05

Hi Nico,

I tried this out briefly in 5.20 and I'm not seeing any issue choosing the wrong coordinate. Could you perhaps provide a screen recording if you're continuing to see this problem?

As for the dashed/projected line, I believe there is no way to turn this off, unfortunately. 

-Josh

• 3.  Re: v5.20 - Ortho mode not functioning as expected

Posted 01-14-2020 15:14

Thank you for you respons, Joshua. Due to deadlines, I haven't been able to respond.

I think I figured it out: ortho snap mode is behaving strange in 3D-view, probably because TBC has to know to which axes it has to correspond (X, Y, Z). In 'Cutting Plane'-view everything works fine. But how can I use ortho snap in 3D-view? Is it possible?

• 4.  Re: v5.20 - Ortho mode not functioning as expected

Posted 01-14-2020 15:29

Hi Nico, 

I tried using the ortho-snap in 3D and I agree it's much harder to use than in Plan view. I believe the development team didn't optimize ortho-snaps for the 3D view because it is difficult to accurately 'snap' to the nearest perpendicular point (i.e. the point doesn't get created where it appeared to be on the dashed line). 

Do you have a specific project/example where the ortho-snap worked better in 5.10? It would be helpful if we could narrow down how it was changed in this release.