Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Takeoff-Pad Quantities

• 1.  Takeoff-Pad Quantities

Posted 11-29-2018 11:41

First, I would like to thank everyone for the content on this forum. It has been very helpful with detailed advise.

I get this scenario on many projects. The geotech engineer specifies a minimum thickness of select fill below the concrete slab, ie. 18". And then wants all fills below that elevation to also be select fill. My workaround is to apply material thickness of 18" select fill (so I get a correct cut quantity) and then I add the embankment quantity (from the takeoff report) in the pad area to the select fill quantity. 

This works, but is not captured in the "Takeoff Report" correctly.

The correct quantity for select fill is 4,074.8 cy and the correct embankment for the pads is 0.0 cy.  So I have always created a separate spreadsheet with quantities corrected for the estimators. I wish I could just hand over the report from TBC without having to do this workaround. I would love to be able to use the material costing in the reports, but because of this, the data is incorrect.

Does anyone have any ideas of a better method?

• 2.  Re: Takeoff-Pad Quantities

Posted 12-03-2018 15:40

Tommy

I have mocked this up to see if I can see what you are seeing

1) How do you get to the Correct Number for Select Fill being 4074.8 cy

a) I see that the Select Fill in the Pad AOI is 1099.8 but that is for the AOI ALL - if you want this for each Pad you need to create AOIs for each pad and then the report will look more like this

In My example it looked like this (Pad 1 was left and Pad 3 was right and Pad 2 in middle

So Pad 3 was the only one which had some additional Fill to get to OG (I did not strip soils etc.). So the Fill Number in Pad 3 AOI is the extra Select Fill needed right?

Then for the Select Materials in the Pads the report looks like this

For each Pad (100'x100') it gives the same numbers for Concrete (6" Thick) and Select Fill (18" Thick)

If for each Pad I add the Embankment Fill and the Select Fill together I get the right number (I believe anyway).

In your example because you have the ALL AOI (and of course I dont know what that is specifically) you have the number of 1099.8 of embankment fill plus the Select Fill in the Purchased Material Report of 2175 cy which when added together give you 3274.8 yet you say the number should be 4074.8 (I don't see where that number comes from (can you explain where you get that one from)

Are you saying that the issue is that the Math is wrong or that the fact that one part of the volume is reported as Earthworks (Earthen Material)  that doesn't have a Cost, and the other is Earthen Select and that does have a cost and that because you cannot specify the "Type of Fill" to be used (Only the Native Material (which you can set to an Earthen Material of the same name as a Select Material) (I used Select Fill II for the Fill beneath the Select Fill I in the Site Improvement Area) 

So is the problem really that you want to be able to Define a "Filler" in the Site Improvement so that if applied to a pad that after the Concrete and Select Fill is applied the base is hanging over the OG surface requiring More Fill that you could specify the Fill needed in the Site Improvement using a Select Fill (Earthen Select) (maybe with a Maximum Depth Value) that would be computed without using the Native Soils as the fill - and that way you would have the correct quantity of Select Fill in the Purchased Materials and the Correct Cost?

I can see that would be handy in this scenario where you need to apply a Filler at the base of Select Fill in Fill Secnarios like this. Apologies but this is not possible to day at least. I have tagged this request as an Enhancement Request for consideration by development

Alan