Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Cursor Starts in wrong box... Workflow Issue since latest patch

• 1.  Cursor Starts in wrong box... Workflow Issue since latest patch

Posted 05-11-2020 07:26

Help please!  If this is answered elsewhere, I apologize, but I didn't get a resolution the first place I posted this.  I'm not sure if I posted it in the right place or not. 

So this was Assumed Answered here:

Cursor starts in wrong box.. Have to tab to do anything... 

But no one even remotely answered or responded besides me and another user. 

If you use hotkeys or use Business center as a drafting resource, this is a QOL issue that, to me, is fairly major.  Instead of hotkey-draft, it's hotkey, tab, tab, tab, tab, tab, draft.  Or hotkey-click, move cursor to right box by clicking, then draft.  

So here is the gist (copy and paste from other post):

After the 5.30 update, whenever I use my hotkey (F3) or the ribbon button to create a polyline, my cursor no longer automatically starts in the "Next Point:" box.  This is happening on all of my hotkeys as well, like if I have a line selected, and try to use a command or hotkey, I have to reselect the line, or tab until I get back in the useful box... Any help would be appreciated.  This is a super slowdown...

• 2.  Re: Cursor Starts in wrong box... Workflow Issue since latest patch

Posted 05-11-2020 11:08

I have compared 5.21 v 5.3 and confirm that in 5.21 the Create Polyline Command starts with the cursor in the Next Point field whereas in 5.3 it starts in the Name field. This is different no mater whether you use the Shortcut or the command from the menu. 

This was changed as a result of the refactoring of the commands done for the Command Line changes. I think there are a number of places where the behavior has changed - I will try to compile a list of the changes and get them into support to see if we can put them back as they were.

I have never liked the structure of this command because the settings like Specify Individaul Points or Stream Points and the Automatically close by connecting ends are settings that should be out of the main loop of the command - the Name and Layer you typically return the last used values or allow those to be selected, for a Polyline Elevation is often ? or a fixed value that you enter once and then you just get into pick pick pick - so for me I would restructure the command and have the loop start at Name, then Elevation and then Pick and then just cycle on Pick, but once a Name and Layer is defined, remember that unless changed and just start at the Pick location - or Name Tab Elevation Tab and then Pick Pick Pick. There are too many unnecessary Tabs in this dialog - so starting at Pick makes more sense with it the way it is.

How many of you give Polylines Names and layers, how many of you would agree that the structure is wrong?

Alan

• 3.  Re: Cursor Starts in wrong box... Workflow Issue since latest patch

Posted 05-12-2020 11:39

I will name one out of a thousand polylines. Only time I can think of when I used it is for curb (ribbon vs standup). Makes it separate quantities when doing length reports. I usually use layers for naming objects in cad programs.   

• 4.  Re: Cursor Starts in wrong box... Workflow Issue since latest patch

Posted 05-12-2020 13:31

I never name a line.  That is what I use layers for.  After I have built a model, I use the Name From Layer macro to make sure all lines are named corresponding to their layer.

• 5.  Re: Cursor Starts in wrong box... Workflow Issue since latest patch

Posted 05-13-2020 06:04

@Alan Sharp - I'll occasionally name lines by the name box in the polyline and linestring command dialogue but typically we'll either use the macro as @MIchael Stallings mentioned, the standardize layers name feature, or more so the select by layer > properties method. 

We do use the Name cell in the Quick Line macro for each and every line created when setting up layout tics for utility structures. This task is often nearly 100+ individually elevated 20' linestrings in a sitting. Since the macro does not snap grab an elevation, it is by far the best for setting up the layout tics. I've also noticed that the tab flow and right click controls of the macro have finally been corrected making it even a better choice for that task.  

I've also noticed the initial focus cell in the Linestring command doesn't seem to be where previously in 5.20.

• 6.  Re: Cursor Starts in wrong box... Workflow Issue since latest patch

Posted 05-13-2020 06:38

These have all been addressed this week as a result of the input last few

days - thanks for that

Alan

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 7:04 AM rtyndall@petillo.com <trimble@jiveon.com>

• 7.  Re: Cursor Starts in wrong box... Workflow Issue since latest patch

Posted 05-13-2020 06:41

So your saying that the cursor will be moved to populate in the "next point" field?  And will these be done via a patch or hotfix?

• 8.  Re: Cursor Starts in wrong box... Workflow Issue since latest patch

Posted 05-13-2020 11:13

That is done in the daily build already and will be released in the next

update - whether that is a Patch, Hot Fix or release is decided by the

Trimble management team. They are aware of the situation. There is an

update planned for Mid June I am told and it would likely make that unless

a Patch is decided before then.

Alan

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 7:42 AM bdyer@urbanzink.com <trimble@jiveon.com>

• 9.  Re: Cursor Starts in wrong box... Workflow Issue since latest patch

Posted 05-13-2020 11:25

Thanks so much!  I appreciate it and I'm sure many others will as well!! 

• 10.  Re: Cursor Starts in wrong box... Workflow Issue since latest patch

Posted 05-16-2020 03:55

This is the same case with using commands such as perpendicular to line or segments while using 'measure distance' or drawing lines. You have to tab or click to the line or segment command everytime. Only since upgrading to 5.30.

I rarely name lines as well.   

• 11.  Re: Cursor Starts in wrong box... Workflow Issue since latest patch

Posted 05-16-2020 04:59

These examples have been addressed in the next release chris

Alan

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 4:56 AM chris@chriswhelanciveng.com.au <

• 12.  Re: Cursor Starts in wrong box... Workflow Issue since latest patch

Posted 05-13-2020 07:10

I name most of my 3D lines so they are identified in surface slicer.

• 13.  Re: Cursor Starts in wrong box... Workflow Issue since latest patch

Posted 05-16-2020 08:18

Alan: I may be a little late to the discussion but I name every line. Three main reasons: first, SCS900 maintains names and it makes picking lines on a crowded screen foolproof. Second, they show up named in the surface slicer view. This makes showing a section (to say a superintendent or foreman) much more intuitive for them. Finally, for future reference. If I come back to a job as I am this week after a 5 month shutdown I can easily get my head back into the design without spending too much time. Of course all linework is appropriately layered as well.

I am so used to the Create Polyline command layout that I don't think about it too much. I agree with you that pulling out the 'one time' fields makes sense.