Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Feature Request - The ability to add surface contours to a site design as a whole entity

• 1.  Feature Request - The ability to add surface contours to a site design as a whole entity

Posted 10-17-2018 04:11

I think that it would be beneficial  within the Field Data/ Design Manager to add surface contours as an entire entity and not individual lines. The reason I say this is because when you update the surface, say it is something that is a work in progress or design build, the contours update and then become "new linework", which they are. They are then disassociated with the design and the user has to go in an re-select the linework and add these back to the design map. 

I think if BC recognized surface contours as an entire entity, you would still get a red dot next to resolve, warning or changes and prompting the user to update, but then the user would not run the risk of losing their surface contours.

• 2.  Re: Feature Request - The ability to add surface contours to a site design as a whole entity

Posted 10-17-2018 06:42

For the field users while they are using DXF or SVD / SVL or DSZ they will always be disassociated lines, however SIteworks is moving towards use of VCL and that means that they could have smarter objects - however Quick contours can be a single entity tied to the TIN surface because they are straight line elements that cut across the triangles, but as soon as you want to curve fit contours, that changes things somewhat (at least today). Of course Quick Contours cannot be selected (at least today) as an object to stake out because they are a single entity.

But SCS900 and Siteworks have their own Contour objects for surface models (measured only though I guess maybe) but if they showed contours as an option for a design surface then you would not have to share the design contours at all from BC-HCE? unless you want linework for staking / checking, but if you want that then you need linework not a single entity (unless it is possible to select a contour from a single entity ....

Alan

• 3.  Re: Feature Request - The ability to add surface contours to a site design as a whole entity

Posted 10-17-2018 12:24

That makes sense but I am referring to the contours generated from a surface (where each contour is its own entity and you have labels) not the quick contours. I use the Takeoff Finished design surface as my main modeling surface because I add all of my 3D linework to the the design category, manipulate as need be, then I have Crtl + X set to "rebuild takeoff surface". So instead of the surface updating every time I make a change, I can choose when I want the surface to update (I know there are a few other ways of doing these but I found this to be the easiest for me ). For my contours, I have these set to auto and since my surface is not on auto build my surface and contours only update when I rebuild my design surface. 

I use the contours for visual aid for myself as I am modeling and redesigning, my deliverables and for the data collectors. We don't necessarily need it on the data collectors but it helps to keep things consistent from paper plans to data collector and it helps provide a visual aid on what the surface is doing.

I would like the ability to select this contour group (Finished Grade contours) and have business center recognize that if the surface updates these contours need to be updated/regen and still exported as part of the linework for the DXF,SVl or DSZ for field equipment. Business center would be recognizing a change in the contour entity and pushing this to the field equipment. I think this process would still be necessary if you were exporting a vcl unless you are going through and selecting everything individual piece of data. The export linework function of the Field data tab works well except when dealing with  dynamic data such as the contours. You need the option to select the entire group or select the layer these entities are on and send everything on that layer, which might not be a bad idea. If things are added or subtracted from designated layers, the user doesn't need to micromanage and deselect entities or add entities. I need to ponder this a little more in efforts to make it clear and not overcomplicated. 

It looks like Siteworks will recognize the quick contours, see an example below. Either Business Center or Siteworks must be exploding the quick contours into individual contours. Like you mentioned, the contours are not smooth though. I also get "Unnamed DXF" when I select on the linework. 

SCS900 and Siteworks both have the ability to contour a surface measured and modeled which i think is very beneficial. SCS900 wasn't bad but you were limited on the contour interval depending on the size of the project (large project, you may be stuck with a 3 foot interval which may not be useful). Siteworks handles contouring a lot better and from what I have seen, even on our larger projects, 60 acres. I can throw on .5 ft contours to provide more detail on what is going on in flat areas. 

I agree that Siteworks' ability to utilize a vcl has some create potential. I have seen this with exporting multiple alignments and surfaces and not needing to have a single design for each modeled surface. 

Something that I have asked the SCS900/Siteworks team about and I think it would be very useful is seeing slope arrows on the data collectors. This would help with QA/QC. 

• 4.  Re: Feature Request - The ability to add surface contours to a site design as a whole entity

Posted 10-18-2018 20:28

Have you actually tried to select the contour object as part of the CAD Linework? You are likely right but you never know - I can try tomorrow - good suggestion - if we add the Contour model to the Design Linework, if it changes - then update the Linework output for field. I will add it to the list

Alan

• 5.  Re: Feature Request - The ability to add surface contours to a site design as a whole entity

Posted 10-19-2018 02:37

Thanks Alan. I gave this a try this morning and got the message "Not a valid type."

• 6.  Re: Feature Request - The ability to add surface contours to a site design as a whole entity

Posted 11-30-2018 12:55

Could you try this with TBC 5.0?

• 7.  Re: Feature Request - The ability to add surface contours to a site design as a whole entity

Posted 11-30-2018 16:16

Gary I just tried this and it works great!

I tested the file in: Siteworks, SCS900, TBC, Carlson SurvCE and Agtek with no issues. Civil 3D and Autodesk True however did not seem to like the dxf with the contours in it. It froze the software numerous times and one time actually crashed my computer. Not sure if this is a file issue but I wanted to share that just in case.

I think the only tweak that needs to be made is that the linestring entities of the contour need to inherit the name applied when creating the contours for the surface. The video below explains this.

Thank you! This is a very useful tool and I appreciate the quick turn around on this request. 

• 8.  Re: Feature Request - The ability to add surface contours to a site design as a whole entity

Posted 12-01-2018 08:29

I built contours and created a Site and Design (I was in Trunk Build though

not 5.0 (does that matter) no problems

I then added a point to surface and refreshed contours - warned me that

contours were updated - resolved conflict - All OK

I then Smoothed the contours - again warned me - again resolved confliict -

All OK

I then changed the Text Style to Auto Flip the Labels - again warned me and

again I resolved and All OK

At each step I output a DXF file and opened it in AutoCAD - In all cases it

worked fine

One comment - the resolve Conflict in the Desighn Manager etc is now bolded

Grey rather than Red Spot - it is for sure not as noticeable - the Project

Explorer Red text is great, I think we should go back to the red Spot for

REsolve Conflicts in Site / Design / WO Managers

Alan

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 2:56 PM gary_lantaff@trimble.com <trimble@jiveon.com>

• 9.  Re: Feature Request - The ability to add surface contours to a site design as a whole entity

Posted 12-01-2018 09:50

Alan,

I agree on adding the red dot back in. The grey blends in too well. 

What is your process for exporting a dxf? Are you using slect mebers in the design manager and than the export function or are you using the file that is automatically created and typically goes to the: C:\Trimble Synchronizer Data\"Data Collector"\Trimble SCS900 Data. I am using the latter and that is where I am seeing the issues. I tried again this morning with the same project from yesterday and a new one and received the same results. The second project I tried was bigger and had more contours and actual froze my computer when trying to open it with an Autodesk product. 

I will send the project files to you email directly, if you wouldn't mind looking at those. 

• 10.  Re: Feature Request - The ability to add surface contours to a site design as a whole entity

Posted 12-01-2018 09:58

I actually just wrote out a DXF of the contours separately - so you are saying the DXF from SCS folder is what is causing you the issue?

Are you curve fitting the contours?

Are you labeling the contours?

How many contours do you have?

I don't see why the SCS DXF would be different to the DXF output - I believe they use the same process

But I can try

What version of AutoCAD are you running

Did you have the DXF open in SCS emulator at the same time - I guess that could cause a problem?

Will look again

Alan

Sent from my iPhone

• 11.  Re: Feature Request - The ability to add surface contours to a site design as a whole entity

Posted 12-01-2018 10:07

Correct, the DXF from the SCS folder.

• I did try smoothing the contours but received the same results. 
    • 47 Contours
    • Labels every 100 ft but that is not a strict criteria, 29 labels for the project I was testing
    • Autocad: Civil 3D 2018 and TrueView 2018
    • I copied the file from the SCS folder, place it on my desktop and then tried opening with both AutoCAD products. No on having the file open in SCS900/Siteworks at the same time.

I sent a Google drive link to you email with the project files if that is more useful. This is not a rush priority, when you get a chance. I appreciate you looking into this. I think the process is close maybe needs just a little tweaking. 

• 12.  Re: Feature Request - The ability to add surface contours to a site design as a whole entity

Posted 12-01-2018 13:43

Pat

I loaded the SCS900 DXF of my test project into Trueview no problem - my AutoCAD license needs to be renewed today for some reason

Haven't tried yours yet - will do that Monday

Alan

Sent from my iPhone

• 13.  Re: Feature Request - The ability to add surface contours to a site design as a whole entity

Posted 10-19-2018 08:09

You tweaked the Dev Teams interest on this one and they have started to look at it - currently the Contour Lines are loosely connected to the contour object - so they need to determine how best to do this, however this is on their radar now

Thanks for raising the issue

Alan