Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

I don't see a way of sorting points by "date measured" in Points Spreadsheet in TBC 5.1. Am I missing something?

• 1.  I don't see a way of sorting points by "date measured" in Points Spreadsheet in TBC 5.1. Am I missing something?

Posted 09-17-2019 09:56

There are some options to add columns in Points Spreadsheet in TBC, but "date measured" is not one of them. This is a crucial information for several of my workflows, including tracking a project progress, creating as-builts, etc. Is there any way to sort / select points by date measured?

• 2.  Re: I don't see a way of sorting points by "date measured" in Points Spreadsheet in TBC 5.1. Am I missing something?

Posted 09-17-2019 15:10

There is not a time stamp in the points spreadsheet.  In the optical spreadsheet there is a time stamp column.  If its not displayed, you have to enable it in the project settings for this sheet.  

• 3.  Re: I don't see a way of sorting points by "date measured" in Points Spreadsheet in TBC 5.1. Am I missing something?

Posted 09-17-2019 17:05

Well, that's not very helpful. I use GNSS equipment most of the time, so optical spreadsheet doesn't do me any good. Shouldn't that feature be added to the future improvements list? Timestamp is a very basic piece of information and useful for multiple purposes.

• 4.  Re: I don't see a way of sorting points by "date measured" in Points Spreadsheet in TBC 5.1. Am I missing something?

Posted 09-19-2019 12:54

There could be multiple observations to a point so a single time would not be too helpful or easy to determine which time to use.  The Observation is what has a time and these are shown in both optical and occupation spreadsheets.  You could make a feature code for the point to set the time if you want  it on the point.

Regardless, I have added this to the list of enhancements for possible future consideration.

How a point gets defined can be complex.  Perhaps it's more important to know the components used to define the point and when they were observed.  Also note that whenever we import a file we keep up with the import information and make a selection set of the objects created by the import.  Each observation is related to a point and records the file that the observation came from.

We would love to hear about your workflow and the problem you want to solve using times.  Perhaps there are additional ways to provide a better solution to the problem.

• 5.  Re: I don't see a way of sorting points by "date measured" in Points Spreadsheet in TBC 5.1. Am I missing something?

Posted 11-14-2020 09:07

We are a construction company, the field use of Trimble equipment is mainly for layout and as-builts, occasionally for topo survey. Our field users don't care much about complexity of defining a point, nor do we need them to be trained in using codes or other advanced features. The field users are either foremen, or equipment operators, not dedicated GNSS operators. When they measure points, they don't always remember about using a proper point ID sequence or keeping observation logs. Knowing the date when the point was created is very useful in reviewing and organizing the field data.

I know that there might be multiple point observations and many components to the point definition, but there is only one point in time when the point was first created, and knowing that time could be very useful. If there is time stamp column in optical spreadsheet, why not make it available in points?