Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Siteworks Emulator: Base Position

• 1.  Siteworks Emulator: Base Position

Posted 02-10-2019 10:59

I have been experimenting with Siteworks and Access 2018 using the emulators.

I cannot change the default position of the base or, perhaps more accurately, I can't figure out how to change the default position of the base in Siteworks.

How do you change the default position of the Base in the Siteworks emulator?

Marshall

• 2.  Re: Siteworks Emulator: Base Position

Posted 02-11-2019 05:23

Not sure I understand what you are after, are you just doing a emulated setup of a base station?

If so, why would you need to change the default position?

Seems the emulator, if you use the HERE-option in Lat/Lon during the setup, it will grab coordinates based on the project you have loaded before doing the setup. So one solution would be to make a Site in the area you wish the base to get the position from.

But I could be way off :-)

• 3.  Re: Siteworks Emulator: Base Position

Posted 02-11-2019 09:45

Lasse: I would like to emulate a 'real' site. I go through all the usual steps, setup the projection, the datum and add a control file. When I try to set up the base (using any of the options: control point, Lat/Long, or Base Anywhere) the result is the same. The base ends up at a "default location as shown in the attached screen shot. Also it will not load a geoid file either. If I accept the default location and attempt a calibration the Emulator throws an error and shuts down.

Marshall

• 4.  Re: Siteworks Emulator: Base Position

Posted 02-12-2019 01:17

Ah I see your point.

But even if you managed to finish the setup - once you accept it you will just be thrown back to the map view without the possibility to do anything but setup a new base, or connect to a rover, as it will drop the connection the base station automatically.

FWIW I use the emulator to show the workflow of setup in trainings, and haven't had a need for the correct coordinates to show up yet.

• 5.  Re: Siteworks Emulator: Base Position

Posted 02-14-2019 15:58

Unfortunately we can not emulate a specific base position, those coordinates are hard coded into the software (and generally are irrelevant to the operation of the emulator).  However it is possible to do a calibration in the emulator, although it is not a standard workflow.  It requires the use of Lat/Long/Height (LLH) log files. The Lat/Long/Height log file used by the emulated GNSS feature in Siteworks is a basic text file that has the latitude, longitude, and height (in meters) for a specific location. The values in the file should be on one line and separated by a comma. A log file with the data "44.330732004,-123.160589931,47.175" will have a location in Siteworks of, 44 33' 07.32004"N, 123 16' 05.89931"W, 47.175 m. The log file should have the naming convention of "[filename].LLH.log" and should be placed in the site folder. Suggest naming the file "<control point name>.LLH.log" to make it easy to figure out which one to use. 

To do a calibration with an emulator you must first create a new site and select a published coordinate system, or import a DC file, so that Siteworks knows how to translate the LLH into NEZ values.  You also need individual LLH log files for each control point, so you need to know the LLH of each control point you have.  

Then when you are in the calibration add point table, tap the + button to add a control point, and tap on the control point on the screen to select it so it's got a blue circle around it.  Then hit CTRL+L to bring up a list of the log files that have been placed in the site folder.  Select the LLH.log that corresponds to the control point, and then go through the (emulated) static point measurement routine.  Then add another point in the table, select the control point in the map, tap CTRL+L and select the second LLH.log file, and do this until you have as many points as you wish in your calibration table. 

Using the LLH.log is the only way to do a simulated calibration, because it's the only way to move the bullseye position cursor during the cal process, so it's not quite a realistic simulation.  But you asked how to do a cal with the emulator. . . 

My development team tells me there's a way to simulate a specific base position, but I was not able to get that working.  If I get that figured out, I'll post it. 

Let me know if you have questions on this procedure.  

You can also select the LLH files as a receiver during the rover setup as well in the "connection type" method. And that will fix your rover position to that one LLH location. If you have multiple rows of LLHs in the file, your position will jump around to each row of LLH, and Siteworks will loop through the log file at about 3Hz and update the cursor position based on the LLHs in the file.