Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Trimble Vx and TBC

• 1.  Trimble Vx and TBC

Posted 08-05-2020 15:56

We may be using a Vx Spatial Station for a job we have coming up. Are there any issues using Vx scan and image data with TBC? Do you need the Scanning Module in order to process Vx data in TBC?

Are there any other issues? Quirks? Other?

Thanks very much,

Marshall

• 2.  Re: Trimble Vx and TBC

Posted 08-05-2020 19:40

I will check with the Geospatial team Marshalll - the scan data is no issue as it is a point cloud or points and I cannot believe that the image data is not supported etc. But I will check in the morning

Alan

• 3.  Re: Trimble Vx and TBC

Posted 08-05-2020 20:12

Hi Marshall, ah the VX, the first of the Trimble VISION instruments!

The VX was introduced ahead of the Scanning module and as such, you'd need just the Survey Advanced edition to utilize almost all the functionality of the VX.  I say 'almost' because I can't recall 100% if we've moved functionality into the Scanning module over the years, particularly around some of the advanced deliverables, but the data created by the VX is more "very rapid topo" and station images rather than colorized point clouds.

You should be good with Survey Advanced!

Joe

• 4.  Re: Trimble Vx and TBC

Posted 08-06-2020 06:23

Joe: thank you for the quick answer. Much appreciated.

Marshall

• 5.  Re: Trimble Vx and TBC

Posted 08-06-2020 06:56

Joe: One more question if I may. The Spec sheet for SCS900 shows that the VX can be used with that software. We will have all Trimble GPS setups on the site using TSC3's. Two of these will be running SCS900. Are there any issues using SCS900 with the VX? The reason I ask is that in SCS900 if I go to the Connect page the VX is NOT listed specifically as an option. This would give us a tad more versatility if SCS can also run the VX.

Thanks again,

Marshall

• 6.  Re: Trimble Vx and TBC

Posted 08-06-2020 07:54

Hi Marshall,

The VX should work with SCS900, just note that any of the vision, imagery, photos, or "scanning" functions are not compatible with SCS900, and it would essentially just be a standard robotic total station if used with SCS900.  SCS900 v3.x does have a function called "stockpile scanning" that can be used to automate collection of points similar to the "rapid topo" Joe mentions, but it is not a "scan" and does not collect any images. 

Assuming you are using SCS900 v3.x  and not v2.x, when attempting to connect to the VX you should just be able to select "SPS Series" and then the radio network and channels on the 2.4GHz radio to connect. 

The spec sheet you snapped is from the old version 2.x of SCS900, which is no longer supported by Trimble, but if it lists it there it should work.  The newer v3.x versions of SCS900 have not been tested with the VX, so while there is nothing preventing connections and the VX from working with SCS900 v3.x, this is not an "officially supported" configuration in SCS900 v3.x, meaning that it has not been extensively tested by the SCS900 development and QA team.  

As a sanity check, I would suggest giving this a try at your shop before getting out into the field just to make sure things are working properly.  

• 7.  Re: Trimble Vx and TBC

Posted 08-06-2020 15:50

Steve: all helpful and checked with SCS900 V2.XX and 3.XX and, as you said, basic total station functions work as did the stockpile scan. That's good. Our other TSC3 has Access so that will be good as well.

Now, having never used a VX, where do I find a comprehensive user manual in English? I scoured docushare and found nothing. Lots of tech tips, no manual.

Suggestions?

Thanks again for the answers this morning. Really helpful.

Marshall

• 8.  Re: Trimble Vx and TBC

Posted 08-06-2020 16:03

The Google found me THIS. . . 

And I think that the more important things are the actual SCS900 and Access application user guides, as the actual interfacing and operation of them is done in the field software and doesn't really depend much on the model, aside from vision/scanning functionality.   

• 9.  Re: Trimble Vx and TBC

Posted 08-06-2020 16:10

Steve: found this one but unfortunately low on detail. The Scanning section says basically, "you can scan" as does the photo section. Brutal. I'll keep looking.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Marshall

• 10.  Re: Trimble Vx and TBC

Posted 08-07-2020 09:23

Marshall, check out the Access UG around page 289.... That should hopefully get you going...

• 11.  Re: Trimble Vx and TBC

Posted 08-07-2020 09:27

Steve: Thank you. That will be a help. I'm not a "native" Access user so anything helps.

Much appreciated,

Marshall