Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Assign object color from layer color

• 1.  Assign object color from layer color

Posted 07-22-2020 10:00

There was a fairly recent macro added to the software called "Name by Layer" that lets you select a bunch of objects and give them the name of the layer they reside on.  I think this is an outstanding command that works well and I use it often and it saves me a bunch of time.  I would love for there to be a similar macro for the color property, where the user can select a bunch of data on different layers that has it's color set as ByLayer and change the objects' colors to that of the layer.  That when receiving data from an outside source that is on many layers but I want to be all on one layer I can assign all the objects names from their respective layers as well as colors (might as well add in linestyle, linestyle scale, and lineweight) and then relayer everything to one layer to better manage all the project's data but still retain the properties of the imported data.  IMHO

#featurerequest #feature_enhancement

• 2.  Re: Assign object color from layer color

Posted 07-22-2020 12:07

Funny

I was just thinking the same exact use cases Wayne - You want to be able to basically track the source provenance of the data *(what color it was and what layer it was on as you start to relayer and use inf from cad files differently. This is probably quite an easy add to the Name by Layer command

Alan

• 3.  Re: Assign object color from layer color

Posted 07-23-2020 07:08

We are going to release a licensed update to the Name by Layer TML that provides the ability to Color the objects as well as set the Linestyle, Line Scale and Line Weight parameters to the By Layer values of the layer if they are not already assigned specifically to the object. This allows you to then Import the CAD file, run this command on all of the linework, so each line now has the specific properties that it came in with, so that if you then relayer the data using Standardize or Map Layers or using Relayer commands etc that the linework will carry its original source information with it, so if you mis classify something, you can review its original information without having to go back to the original CAD file.

It does depend on what you are doing as to whether or not you want to use all these options, but I can for sure see high value in this for Data Prep workflows, at least while you are getting the model built.

I could then see people selecting all the information and clearing the names and then using the command one more time to take on the names of the final layers before taking the data to the field.

Thanks for the input Wayne - I hope to have a Test Version for you to look at later today.

Alan

• 4.  Re: Assign object color from layer color

Posted 07-23-2020 17:11

Here is a link to a video I just recorded of the changes to the Name by Layer command - I hope you like what we have added to the command. The extended features of the command are licensed, if you need the command you can order the RPS Data Prep Toolbox at www.RockpileSolutions.com.

Click Here to Download

Thanks

Alan

• 5.  Re: Assign object color from layer color

Posted 07-24-2020 05:17

Very excellent, exactly what was needed.  Thank you.