Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Coordinate Scroll for Point Clouds?

• 1.  Coordinate Scroll for Point Clouds?

Posted 11-19-2020 13:14
      |   view attached

I'm not sure if this feature exists but having the ability to have an option for point cloud elevation in coordinate scroll would help so much. Not only to check if points are being accurately recorded for point sampling but to compare surfaces to point clouds among other things. If this already exists someone please point me in the correct direction. 

• 2.  Re: Coordinate Scroll for Point Clouds?

Posted 11-23-2020 12:11

The Measure Point command allows you to click in a point cloud to see the elevation. If you have coordinate scroll up then you can see the Surface Elevation at the selected point location when you click and the point elevation from the point cloud shows up on screen at the same time.

Does this help? While not a dynamic scrolling read out, it does do what you want at chosen locations and it does also report the points in the History log. If you want to see the surface but not select it using Measure Points, use Advanced View Filters to turn the surface selectable to Off, that way when you click with Measure Points it will select the point from the point cloud.

You can also run the RPS Command called Points to Cloud if you want to compare a number of "Ground Truth Points" with the Point Cloud to get a check on the deltas between the two based on the nearest point cloud points to the Ground Truth points.

Alan

• 3.  Re: Coordinate Scroll for Point Clouds?

Posted 11-23-2020 13:11

Hi Alan, while this is an alternative and can be used in some cases, more time than not, this won't be very beneficial because you can only have one point displayed on the screen while you are using another command such as a breakline. The dynamic scrolling would be way more useful so you can see those two numbers and really make sure that your data from point clouds is being accurately expressed. 

I do appreciate the tip though. I will definitely explore this a little more and see if it can be more beneficial.