Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

[5.60.1] Offset Line - Vertical offset BUG?!

• 1.  [5.60.1] Offset Line - Vertical offset BUG?!

Posted 01-13-2022 13:20
      |   view attached

I don't know if I'm having a brain f*rt or my TBC is broken. Someone please offset (TBC OFFSETLINE) the attached linestring 10' right at 0% and do an Explore Object referencing the new line checking the resulting cross slope and let me know what your getting. I am NOT getting 0% for the entire length as expected. It appears that, due to the arcs, it's not calc'ing the Z value radially resulting in wildly erroneous results.

Moving on using Vertical Design as that appears to be calc'ing correctly, however, if others are seeing what I am seeing with the simple command, Trimble needs to release a patch immediately.

Thanks for your help.

Not 0%

------------------------------
    Richard Tyndall

Attachment(s)

zip
    Centerline.zip   39 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: [5.60.1] Offset Line - Vertical offset BUG?!

Posted 01-13-2022 15:27
    I tested it with one of my Alignments and it was correct. But with yours it's wrong.
    I used one of my macros to create the black horizontal lines and you can clearly see that the elevation of the orange offset line is wrong.
    It's wrong in 5.52 and 5.60.1. It has something to do with that vertical parabola you are using, because before/after that one the offset elevation is correct. And the offset line hasn't a parabola anymore, only vertical arcs. Shrinking/extending a parabola to maintain the same elevation as the source line isn't trivial, if not impossible. The offset line should in those cases probably just use densely placed vertical spot heights instead of vertical arcs.

Something you should forward to your dealer as bug report.

Ronny Schneider

• 3.  RE: [5.60.1] Offset Line - Vertical offset BUG?!

Posted 01-14-2022 09:17
    Thanks for your help Ronny. (I did forward to my dealer previously.)

I've been told Trimble doesn't consider this a bug which totally confuses me but I guess we'll have to wait and see if there is any direct response from them. 
    Vertical Design calc'd it correctly so I was able to move on. 

Tough to wrap my head around that 0' vertical offset doesn't equate to a line at the same elevation at radial and perpendicular locations to the original line. But I guess you can learn something new everyday. Strange that in the almost 5 years I've been using this product daily, that I haven't come across this issue already.

Richard Tyndall

• 4.  RE: [5.60.1] Offset Line - Vertical offset BUG?!

Posted 01-14-2022 11:35
    Hey Richard, 

If possible, could you tell me who the dealer is that put the case into support and what Trimble Support tech the case was/is with?

Regards,

Shane Lyons

Shane Lyons

• 5.  RE: [5.60.1] Offset Line - Vertical offset BUG?!

Posted 01-19-2022 08:20
    SiTech Metro Northeast submitted the ticket. I don't know who the Trimble Support tech is.

Richard Tyndall

• 6.  RE: [5.60.1] Offset Line - Vertical offset BUG?!

Posted 01-19-2022 10:47
    Hey Richard, 

I've searched in our support queue and can't find anything specific to this case. 

If it's possible to get a case number from SiTech on this issue I could see who was involved and find out why our engineering doesn't consider this a bug. At the very least we could get an explanation as to why it's designed this way. 

Let me know if you can get anything from SiTech and we can go from there. 

Regards,

Shane Lyons

Shane Lyons

• 7.  RE: [5.60.1] Offset Line - Vertical offset BUG?!

Posted 01-20-2022 13:04
    Edited by Shane Lyons 01-20-2022 13:09
    Hey Richard, 

I had construction support search for a case on this and they can't find anything either. I've also reached out to TBC escalations to see if they have heard of this or have a ticket on it. If we can't find anything we would need the dealer to provide the case number of the ticket they submitted or submit a ticket if they haven't. Once we have a support case I can push to get this resolved. 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Regards,

Shane Lyons

Shane Lyons

• 8.  RE: [5.60.1] Offset Line - Vertical offset BUG?!

Posted 01-20-2022 08:50
    Im having the same problem on my alignment. I offset both ways and have 0.10' of slope between the two lines. I worked around it by creating the lines by creating a corridor then exploding the surface and trimming the lines down. Didnt do that until I scratched my head for a few hours about the offset line not working correctly.

Robert Barton

• 9.  RE: [5.60.1] Offset Line - Vertical offset BUG?!

Posted 11-17-2022 14:09
    I'm having this same issue. Try to offset a linestring with vertical nodes from TC to ROW, for some reason the resulting offset line at ROW has vertical nodes at correct elevation, but at wrong station (stations appear to be set to same as on the TC line, which doesn't work when the original line has arcs). Please advise if this issue is being corrected. Thanks

Kenneth Herwig