Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Corridor Connect Instruction Problem

• 1.  Corridor Connect Instruction Problem

Posted 02-12-2021 14:45
    I was with a coworker and they were showing where their corridor material was in a slope and they used a connect instruction to close that material.  There is two sub materials and when they did connect for the second material, the top material was thrown off and lost its connect function.  I ran thru their corridor to see if i could see what it was doing and could not see why it did not function right.  for the time being, I made an offset from the top material and that fixed the problem we encountered.  Is there any quicks to making this work beside my little test i have shown below? 
    below is an image of the area where the problem is. When we connect node 9 to 4, it slope-connects fine.  When you connect 12 to 9.  It throw the top material off projecting that material straight up to finish.

below is an image where I created a node offset 0.01' from node 9 which i did not add to any material.  I then did a connect from 11 to 2 ( you can't really see in the image the number) works great.

------------------------------
    Francisco Guerrero

• 2.  RE: Corridor Connect Instruction Problem

Posted 02-13-2021 08:41
    Francisco,

How was the offset for the material created?
    Did he use Offset/Elevation with nothing in material selected, so they are just points?

Mike

Mike Tartaglia

• 3.  RE: Corridor Connect Instruction Problem

Posted 02-13-2021 09:45
    To do the sub material a offset/elevation at no material was created from CL alignment to the bottom of asphalt.  Then from that node a offset/slope to bottom edge of asphalt was create for asphalt material> then a connect from bottom e/a to top e/a for asphalt material.  Then a offset/elevation from the node created for the bottom of ashpalt was used to create bottom of flex base with no material> then a offset/slope created for bottom edge of flex base> then a connect from bottom edge of flex base to bottom edge of flex base.   The last step makes the first connect get thrown off wack.  For our office we have to drawn the edges like the plan with sloped,  we can not just 90° up tp top material.  He did try to just connect from bottom edge flex base to top edge asphalt which that works also.

Francisco Guerrero

• 4.  RE: Corridor Connect Instruction Problem

Posted 02-17-2021 15:55
    Hey Frank,

Do you have a material above defined on the instruction that creates the segment from 9 to 4? Could you post a photo of your instructions?

Thanks,

Shane

Shane Odenbach

• 5.  RE: Corridor Connect Instruction Problem

Posted 02-17-2021 20:00
    Funny story,  As I am going back into that project.  He added a mow strip and changed that connect instruction to a offset/slope.  So, as I am just messing with removing the mow strip and replicating what he did.  I decided to use the offset/slope to draw the slope for the edge of asphalt.  So some how that worked by adding a new node. *see top image*  I redid the connect instruction to show what happened with the connect instruction. the area in yellow is being thrown off * see bottom image*  you may disregard how the instruction are done.  they are a bit of a mess and i did do one from scratch with the same results. 

Francisco Guerrero

• 6.  RE: Corridor Connect Instruction Problem

Posted 02-18-2021 06:28
    I was handed a new project which is more of a hand me down.  The project model is complete and has the same scenario type slope submaterial.  Somehow this other project has connect instruction and has not issue with any material getting wacky. On the new project they had the connect with NO Material Above which does sound right.  Is there a material above added to connect instruction making a closed shape?

Francisco Guerrero

• 7.  RE: Corridor Connect Instruction Problem

Posted 02-19-2021 10:09
    Hey Frank,

When you define a material above the software will try to flood the area above that segment. This is the reason that you are getting the additional area, in your example you will want to leave the material above as undefined. If you like I can record a video showing you an example of how this works.

Shane

Shane Odenbach

• 8.  RE: Corridor Connect Instruction Problem

Posted 02-19-2021 10:41
    go for it, i tried the undefined and still had that issue.  even added above material to the new project i was handed over from a previous coworker.  his corridor did not change when added above material.

Francisco Guerrero

• 9.  RE: Corridor Connect Instruction Problem

Posted 02-19-2021 15:38
      |   view attached
    Hey Frank,

See attached Video 

Let me know if you have any more question on this.

Shane Odenbach

• 10.  RE: Corridor Connect Instruction Problem

Posted 03-01-2021 07:59
    Here is the typical section for this project.  I tried the undefined which is still not clear to me, why you can do a connect to on material, yet when you do the second material it throw the issue up in the template.  I will upload what I have from the previous x coworker that did a project that I currently am taking over.  He managed to do connect to three materials with no issue of course he did undefined above material and I even went back adding material above with no issues.  I am not sure how is templated don't throw issues

Francisco Guerrero

• 11.  RE: Corridor Connect Instruction Problem

Posted 03-02-2021 09:48
    If the Typicals are as you show in the video Shane, you could not build those without boxing out the Cut in which you place your Aggregate and HMA materials - so it has to be cut out and then backfilled with something and that is the process that this is providing for. If your backfill is the same material as the overall fill then what you do in the video is 100% correct, if you want to report it but not assign a material - leave it undefined and it will report as Default Subgrade as you show.

Alan

Alan Sharp
    alan.sharp@rockpilesolutions.com

• 12.  RE: Corridor Connect Instruction Problem

Posted 03-05-2021 06:28
    Here is a .VCL for the project i was handed to take over.  The project was done by another co-worker (no longer here) and he was able to get the connect to work even if you add a material above.  I tried to look it over and see what they did with no answer how they did.  Take a look over this Shane and let me know what you find.  I will email the .VCL as I am not able to upload this type of file here.

Francisco Guerrero

• 13.  RE: Corridor Connect Instruction Problem

Posted 03-05-2021 08:58
    Yeah, I tried to explain that in the video, I don't know if I was clear enough though. I was trying to build something that looked similar to his screen grabs. I am going to take a look at his vce today and see what is going on in his specific case.

Shane Odenbach