TBC Macros and Extensions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Trim/Extend by Total Distance

• 1.  Trim/Extend by Total Distance

Posted 12-04-2018 07:42

I would like to request a trim/extend line by total distance. 

TBC in is current format requires additional steps to be taken in order to get to the end result.

1.) Select the line to find out its existing length.

2.) Grab your calculator and do an add or subtraction from the proposed total length.

* Example existing line is 149.97' and the proposed length should be 97.33', therefore a difference of 52.64', maybe its just me but I can not do this subtraction in my head.

3.) Next step is to enter the 52.64' under the horizontal distance

4.) Final step is to select the line to be trimmed/extended

My idea is for a macro where you would input the "PROPOSED" total distance of line segment

1.) Type in the distance (proposed total in the end result)

2.) Select the line that would be trimmed/extended via where you place the cursor but also allow the macro to be smart enough to know the midpoint of that line. Whichever side of the midpoint, of that selected line, that the cursor is placed becomes the side of the segment that gets trimmed or extended to achieve the total length of that segment.  The reason for this is so that we do not always have to goto the end of the selected line in order to determine which end gets trimmed/extended.

3.) Simple and no math is involved.

If you need more clarification please let me know.

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Trim/Extend by Total Distance

Posted 12-04-2018 08:50

Hey Ben! 

I agree!  For really fast coordinate geometry re-creation (i.e. bridge setups) - I still reach for Terramodel, but I would like to see TBC get there too.  My workflow goes something like this for extend by distance = throw up circles of a certain radius, extend to circle, then delete the circle.  It's better than doing all the calculator stuff.  Instead of a macro, it could be a snap function "extension," then let you key in the distance somehow similar to other software.

Rotating by reference angle would be nice as well.  I want to be able to key in either the azimuth angle or rotate a line by selecting the beginning "bearing" using two snaps, then select the target angle by using two snaps or keying that second step in = instead of just specifying the positive or negative rotation from where it is currently drawn.  UPDATE:  JUST FIGURED OUT HOW TO DO THIS WITH 3 POINT SNAP.

Great to meet you at Dimensions this year!

Dean

• 3.  Re: Trim/Extend by Total Distance

Posted 12-05-2018 09:18

Doesn't the current commands do this? You can use the "BreakALine" command to break at the distance you want. If you want to break so you set the distance from the end, just enter the existing line length minus the wanted length (so something like "258.506-200" for the length). Then just delete the piece you don't want.

Same for extend, just enter the length wanted minus the current length for the distance.

Using in-line math for the distance field should make this simple. Also, in version 5, the properties pane can be visible when running commands so the lines current length is displayed.

• 4.  Re: Trim/Extend by Total Distance

Posted 12-05-2018 11:09

Gary,

I never tried the break line function, I guess I was always thinking of the trim/extend function.

Break Line Function:

Break by a specific distance (say the future length is to be 15' and the current length of that line is 258.506' long))

* When you break the line with a specified length it breaks that line to the specified distance from the starting end of that segment.  First Step would have required to look up the direction of that line, but I did just notice when you select the break line command and select the line the solid filled circle indicates the starting end compared to the open circle which represents the end of the segment.  Assuming the line is going the right way, the next step would be to select the line command function and type in the proposed length into the "Distance along" box . Thirdly you then have to go back and delete the remaining left over segment.  This sort of a 2 step process but becomes a 3 step process if you need to reverse the line direction, but it works.  

The only thing that could be added in the future is a function on the break line command is to reverse line direction.  It is easier to pick the end that you would like to work off of so that no math is involved.  In the example above pending if the direction is reversed then you would have to subtract the 15' from the 258.506 compared to changing direction and making the starting end the end you want to work off of, which in turn then  you would  just type in 15'. Is there a way to determine line direction and reverse it? If not, maybe a macro that would show line direction and allow you to reverses it would not be a bad thing.