TBC Macros and Extensions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Can't add "tbcMacros" to MSVS17 Project setup

• 1.  Can't add "tbcMacros" to MSVS17 Project setup

Posted 04-08-2019 16:52

I'm trying to setup Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 Community with the TBC Python project and as per '02 Setting up IDE' guide. I've installed/uninstalled the Trimble Macros SDK.msi  multiple times but still don't get the option "TbcMacros" in the File > New > Project > Python > TbcMacros. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

MS VS 2017 Project Setup           

• 2.  Re: Can't add "tbcMacros" to MSVS17 Project setup

Posted 04-08-2019 22:28

I've uninstalled MS VS 2017 Community and when trying to re-install I'm only allowed to download VS 2019 edition. I have installed the 2019 edition and re-installed the Trimble Macros SDK.msi . Still no TbcMacros option in New Project selection menu.

• 3.  Re: Can't add "tbcMacros" to MSVS17 Project setup

Posted 04-11-2019 12:06

In your "Documents" folder, Visual Studio will create a folder named "Visual Studio 2017" or "Visual Studio 2019" (depending on which version is installed). Our SDK was created prior to 2019 so it only puts the template in the 2017 folder. If you have not installed 2017, then this folder will not exist. (so no template)

There could be two reasons you don't see the template.

1) You have (or had) 2017 installed and the template is in the wrong folder for 2019.

a) Then just copy "C:\Users\<userName>\Documents\Visual Studio                   2017\Templates\ProjectTemplates\TbcMacros.zip" to the 2019 folder.

2) or you did not have 2017 installed. Then do this....

a) Uninstall "Trimble Macros SDK.msi"

b) Copy the "Visual Studio 2019" folder (and all sub folders) and rename to "Visual Studio 2017"

c) Install the "TrimbleMacros SDK.msi"

d) Then copy the template zip file to the 2019 folder (as in "1" above)

• 4.  Re: Can't add "tbcMacros" to MSVS17 Project setup

Posted 04-11-2019 14:54

Gary again I bow to your infinite wisdom and knowledge, that sold my problem for VS 2019 installation.

The zip was in the 2017 folder, but didn't work?

Thanks again, now down to the hard stuff of working out how all this works. 

• 5.  Re: Can't add "tbcMacros" to MSVS17 Project setup

Posted 11-04-2019 16:19

I have the same problem as Ray:

• Never had VS 2017 installed
    •   
    • Installed VS 2019
    •   
    • Downloaded / installed/ uninstalled Trimble Macros SDK.msi (Updated for VS 2019) ( created 26 October 2019) multiple times
    •   
    • Can't find TbCMacros.zip anywhere on my computer
    •   
    • Found folder full of DLLs in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Trimble\Macros SDK, but I don't know what to do with them

• 6.  Re: Can't add "tbcMacros" to MSVS17 Project setup

Posted 11-08-2019 03:13

Hi Marian,

you were close to find the zip files. They are here "C:\Program Files (x86)\Trimble\Macros SDK\Templates", one folder below were you found all the DLL's. I'll send you a copy of the 2019 ZIP to your email address anyway.

You might have to copy it manually to the template path that is defined in your Visual Studio settings.

On my computer the TbcMacros.zip resides here (as Gary wrote):

C:\Users\r.schneider\Documents\Visual Studio 2019\Templates\ProjectTemplates

What you do with the DLL's is described in Step 3 03 Configuring Your Visual Studio Project 

Cheers

Ronny

• 7.  Re: Can't add "tbcMacros" to MSVS17 Project setup

Posted 11-10-2019 15:03

Thanks Ronny,

In my defence, on my computer there is no "C:\Program Files (x86)\Trimble\Macros SDK\Templates\". I have no sub-folders in "Macros SDK".

Thanks for sending me "TbcMacros.zip", I copied it to "C:\Users\marian.plucinski\Documents\Visual Studio 2019\Templates\ProjectTemplates" (had to create \Templates\ProjectTemplates\ as the only sub-folder in Visual Studio 2019 was "Code Snippets").

I pasted this zip to few random Template folders 

Unfortunately, no luck so far.