TBC Macros and Extensions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Is the Makro "Explode IFC Shell" faulty?

• 1.  Is the Makro "Explode IFC Shell" faulty?

Posted 11-28-2019 00:51
      |   view attached

Seems like "Explode IFC Shell" with option "include all does explode the IFC-Object into line segments, but the IFC-Objects remains (=good).

Saidly all the other filters do not work at all:

- Normal "up": would expect to create a surface, triangles or-at-least-lines at the top of the IFC-Object

- Normal "up": would expect to create a surface, triangles or-at-least-lines at the very bottom of the IFC-Object

- Vertical face: would expect to create lines along the vertical sides of an IFC-Object

- As well the option "create CAD-Points" does not do anything either, in none of the available Filters

Attached you can find an IFC of a House where I was testing with. I would have liked to see the bottom of the foundation object to be extracted into usable objects.

I wonder if we will see an option to create surfaces directly out of an IFC Object (either top/bottom) with eliminated verticalities, so that that can go directly onto a rover/machine...?

Attachment(s)

zip
    EFH.ifc.zip   66 KB 1 version

• 2.  Re: Is the Makro "Explode IFC Shell" faulty?

Posted 12-02-2019 10:10

Could you check to make sure you have the latest version of the macro? All the options seem to work as I expected.

The macro does not create a surface, just explodes the mesh objects into lines that a user can then use in a surface.

The "Create CAD points" option will create points at the end of each line and connect the line to the points. This seems to work as expected.

There is no requirement on how the mesh faces are defined in a IFC shell. Most of the time, the normal of each face points towards the "inside" of the solid. In that case, you would want to use the "Normal 'up' " option to extract the bottom of the shell. In your house sample, the mesh faces are pointing "out", so you would need to use the "Normal 'down' " option to extract the bottom of the shell.

• 3.  Re: Is the Makro "Explode IFC Shell" faulty?

Posted 12-06-2019 02:09

Hi Gary

I'm using the latest version (v0.31) according to TML Status but Issues described initially remain.

Are you able to reproduce with the data provided?

Regards Andy

• 4.  Re: Is the Makro "Explode IFC Shell" faulty?

Posted 12-06-2019 02:13

Looks like the IFC I wanted to provide is not there anymore... can I send it directly to you, @Gary Lantaff?

• 5.  RE: Re: Is the Makro "Explode IFC Shell" faulty?

Posted 04-02-2022 02:33
    @Gary Lantaff would it be possible to label the faces as up, down and vertical? This way if you are trying to create a surface modeling from a building IFC you could explode and quickly grab all of the bottom linework by name. I tried using the lines but it would be more ideal to have a closed linestring for the down face. ​

------------------------------
    Patrick L'heureux
    ------------------------------