Trimble Connect User Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Trimble Connect as a cloud service in iPad?

• 1.  Trimble Connect as a cloud service in iPad?

Posted 06-20-2021 13:51

It would be great if Trimble connect could be used as a Cloud Service in iPad.

There is ways of controlling access to files, so users should be able to control what to do with files and not be limited to download them.

I have just received my M1 iPad and it's more powerful than my laptop. I can do very good work with it so I don't understand why I should be limited on Trimble Connect's side.

Please just let me download as well as upload whatever I wish and create real publishable work from it.

Thanks in advance,

João

------------------------------
    João Queiroz e Lima

• 2.  RE: Trimble Connect as a cloud service in iPad?

Posted 06-24-2021 05:33
    Hi João,
    Thanks for bringing this up. I suppose there are 2 parts to your query and suggestions - 
    1. File operations - Connect for Browser application is responsive on a tablet / mobile device . You can do a lot of file/folder operations including upload, download, permissions settings and many more  (documentation link). Could you please check if these help you. 
    2. When you mention about Cloud service in iPad, could you please explain your workflow or how you intend to use it . May be we have already have solutions that could help your workflow.

Regards

Darshan Rajaram Kamat

• 3.  RE: Trimble Connect as a cloud service in iPad?

Posted 06-24-2021 05:57
    1.  That functionality is not working in my iPad. I had Safari pop-up blocker stopping my from downloading in the past, but after your tip I fixed that, however when I download a file I can't find it anywhere in my iPad. It's not in the downloads folder and I can't find it anywhere. Besides that, as I told before, using the Browser app is not as effective, streamlined or useful as having Trimble Connect app working as it could. This is what is described in #2

2. When you install cloud apps like iCloud, Google Drive, One Drive, Dropbox and the likes, Apple's "Files" App and other file manager "apps" use those cloud folders in the locations side bar. You can navigate directly to those cloud folders and you can point your apps to save on those cloud folders too. Those "locations" become available for us to manage and create files on those locations. For me (and I guess for every iPad user or Mobile user) it would be incredibly unvaluable to have Trimble connect as one of those cloud apps. Each Project would be a folder and we could link directly to our working Cloud, which in my case is Trimble Connect, not Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive nor iCloud.

I hope your development team really considers this as it would be a major plus for iPad/mobile users either in the field, but also for working at home and authoring models, pdfs, drawings and annotations everywhere. A project manager could use his ipad as his sole device if this could change, no need for laptops or desktop computers and that is VERY convenient for people on the go.

João Queiroz e Lima

• 4.  RE: Trimble Connect as a cloud service in iPad?

Posted 06-24-2021 06:37
    Hi João,
    Thanks for explaining . Its a very valuable feedback. Having Trimble Cloud as a Storage service is something we will consider for future. 
    If we plan to take it up , we will keep our users posted. 

Regards

Darshan Rajaram Kamat

• 5.  RE: Trimble Connect as a cloud service in iPad?

Posted 06-24-2021 07:06
    Crossing my fingers and hoping it will be faster than what it seems.

The future could be very distant and meanwhile it's a bit senseless to have such a mighty cloud app and storage for AEC as TC is, yet also having to rely on other less powerful and less interesting solutions to get our work done.

João Queiroz e Lima

• 6.  RE: Trimble Connect as a cloud service in iPad?

Posted 11-01-2023 00:37

Hello João, 

I agree with you completely, I just started using Trimble-Connect and I can't fully commit to it because my workflow depends on the ability to access files directly from the Files App on the iPad, If you have found a workaround I would love to connect with you and learn from you. 

alvaro Rodriguez