Trimble Connect User Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Where do you save a Trimble SYNC Manager the new job templates for projects?

• 1.  Where do you save a Trimble SYNC Manager the new job templates for projects?

Posted 11-19-2021 08:30
    Is there a path where you can save an Access job template so when you create a new project on Trimble Sync Manager it will already be accessible? Currently I have to create a new project, then go to properties => Template, then drag and drop my template. I would like to have the templates automatically load up when a project is created.

------------------------------
    Tex Barnett

• 2.  RE: Where do you save a Trimble SYNC Manager the new job templates for projects?

Posted 11-21-2021 14:11

Hello Tex,

The system is currently limited to manual drag and drop when adding templates to a project.

Enabling selection from a list of organizational resources which are available whenever creating a project is something that makes a lot of sense to me so could you answer the following questions for me?

For yourself, is a project template typically an organizational thing, used throughout your company, or location, contract or a personal thing?

What information would you typically include in your templates?

CRS definition

Embedded points
    Active map files
    Linked files

To what extent would you expect the surveyor to adjust from the template settings after creating a job?
    Do you see any value in Trimble Sync Manager or Trimble Access highlighting that a job is using a different setup from the "project template"

Regards
    Chay

Chay Froggatt

• 3.  RE: Where do you save a Trimble SYNC Manager the new job templates for projects?

Posted 11-22-2021 05:01
    We have two cities where over 50% of our work is done in and I created a template for one these cities. I have the published coordinates for the city monuments and the network base in a job template for one of these cities. Before using SYNC we had custom templates the field could choose from to create their JOB. Now we have to drag in all the templates that might be used and give
    The few templates we do use are done because of location. 
    The typically only have established control and the local network base in the JOT as embedded points.
    The surveyor would only run a network adjustment and possibly a level loop adjustment after the fieldwork was completed.
    I don't see any value on highlighting differences between the job and the project.

I am getting push back from others in my office about using SYNC for different reasons, but one of them is the speed to create a Project & job for the field. If we could automatically assign a team when a project is created then we could let the field crew create their own projects and jobs. As of now the field can create a project, but only he has access to it until he adds team members.

Tex Barnett

• 4.  RE: Where do you save a Trimble SYNC Manager the new job templates for projects?

Posted 11-22-2021 13:36

Hi Tex,

Thank you for your reply, I agree that the project creation appears slow and will look further into what could be done regarding making adding team members more streamlined.

A thought on the template question. 
    It sounds as though you simply want to get the template to the field crew in order that they can create their own jobs in Access.
    Trimble Access is running some file type and directory mapping logic to move templates delivered through a cloud project to the /System Files directory.

What this means is, unless you want to be able to use the template to create a job in Trimble Sync Manager you only need to have the templates present in one project.
    Download of that project to Trimble Access would place the templates in /System Files where they are available for use for job creation from any project.

Does the above suggestion meet your immediate needs?

Regards
    Chay

Chay Froggatt

• 5.  RE: Where do you save a Trimble SYNC Manager the new job templates for projects?

Posted 11-22-2021 13:42

We have that setup already for the template in the /system folder already for the field, but now I need the same ability for the office. That way the office doesn't have to remember to bring that template in every time a project is created.

Tex Barnett

• 6.  RE: Where do you save a Trimble SYNC Manager the new job templates for projects?

Posted 11-22-2021 11:42
    We run into a similar challenge as yours. We have many projects and multiple crews working on each project. The surveyors create their own multiple Jobs within those projects throughout the day.

Ideally, each Project in the cloud would provide the surveyor with the coordinate system, stakeout points, control points, Road alignments and other support files that are global to that project. Most importantly, these files need to be updated to the cloud and available to the surveyor in near real-time from the calculations provided by our office survey team. Quite often, our office team is calculating something that needs to be staked in the field almost immediately, and thus needs to be sync'd to them on the Project level promptly. By the way, our calculations are all done in AutoCAD based software and not in TBC. So the sync process needs to watch for updates on our server and apply them to the cloud automatically.

Thank you for bringing this up. It appears are goals may be similar in some ways.

Bob

Bob Epstein