Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to share Positions Project specifics between users

• 1.  How to share Positions Project specifics between users

Posted 09-12-2020 06:51
    We are teaching a GNSS class this semester under the C19 restrictions. All the students are on-line and, as a result, they are unable to actually access the equipment. We are now covering post-processing using the TDC150. Our plan is to have the student complete the entire Positions "project creation process" following specific defined elements that we have previously used to acquire the field data and then we will give each student the data from the field (the  *tfout file) which they can post-process. To make the situation even more complicated they are doing this using the VMWare Horizon Client Virtual Device Infrastructure. We are using this approach so that remote students can run the software remotely.
    Our question is this. If they create a project that is exactly like the one that we used to conduct the field work can they ingest the resulting *.tfout file that we will give them from the receiver? 
    If a second user CANNOT create a project that would ingest data from a different user's Project what do we need to share with them? I would assume that we would share the geodatabase that was used but I'm unclear about the other positions elements. I know that there is an Access database created in the C\ProgramData\trimble\positions\10.1 folder. Is sharing this and the cfg necessary?
    I see on page 18 of the Admin manual there is a discussion about importing a field configuration and copying them to a new database but the process is not clear. 
    The craziness of the pandemic have made the situation so complicated. Any help is appreciated.

• 2.  Re: How to share Positions Project specifics between users

Posted 09-14-2020 08:36

Some additional technical details. Our IT staff  created a MS SQL Server database for us on their central server so it would be accessible by the VDI. All of our installs will point to that central database. It uses an ODBC connection at the System DSN level so that it is available to all users on the machine.

I am hoping that this will facilitate the workflow for sharing a project?

• 3.  Re: How to share Positions Project specifics between users

Posted 09-14-2020 08:44

Hello Fred,

Here is a link that discuss multiple project users on different computers.

Setting Up a Shared Trimble Positions Desktop Database on SQL Server | 

You can use this configuration to build one project, that can be used to check out data to offline project, then you can check back in.

Ericb

• 4.  Re: How to share Positions Project specifics between users

Posted 10-08-2020 10:50

Just wanted to share with everyone the solution to our issue. Thanks for the info form Eric and others we were able to set things up that allowed multiple users to access the same Positions structure and acquire data and update it. The keys are:

1. You need to set up a shared Trimble positions database. When working as a single user you create this for your own Positions development. Details are provided in the Trimble Positions Desktop Ad-In Administrators Guide. In the "corporate" mode you need a DMBS such as Oracle or MS-SQL etc with connections to each user. In this configuration Positions projects are shared. 

2. Make sure that all users have access to the SAME geodatabase and

3. and same WORKSPACE.