Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

I am unclear on relationship between TMM and ESRI Collector on setting profiles

• 1.  I am unclear on relationship between TMM and ESRI Collector on setting profiles

Posted 07-21-2020 10:57

I have read the 4 part guide for TMM and Collector and it is much appreciated but am still unclear on the relationship between TMM base-station settings and collector settings when doing high accuracy work with an R2. Do the settings in TMM "override" the Profile settings in Collector? I gather that the TMM setting persist even after I disconnect from the receiver in TMM. If I have specific parameters in TMM for  GNSS Correction Source reference frame and output frame do I need to have the same parameters in Collector? Or if I have the correct ones in TMM can I use the default in Collector? 

• 2.  Re: I am unclear on relationship between TMM and ESRI Collector on setting profiles

Posted 07-21-2020 13:48

Hi Fred,

The answer to your question depends on the mobile device operating system that you are using running Collector connected to the R2.

Android OS: Collector is able to read the TMM custom real time and position output configuration. With this workflow, you would connect in TMM, make your configuration, then disconnect from the R2. When Collector connects to the R2, it will be able to read the configuration file stored by TMM and utilizes the custom configuration including orthometric heights.

iOS: Collector on iOS is different because of its integrated configuration of the receiver as you mentioned. Communication from within the Collector app through the implemented TPSDK does reset the receiver and is not currently able to support the custom position output configured in TMM (so it cannot support orthometric heights at this time).

Trimble is working closely with ESRI to implement support for the custom position output configurations TMM allows in the recently announced Field Maps application. If this workflow is of interest to you on iOS, then I would suggest getting involved in the Field Maps Beta program with ESRI so you can be among the first to use the beta version that includes the Trimble receiver supported workflows. We are expecting that to be out soon.

- Lane Carter

Trimble Geospatial Support

• 3.  Re: I am unclear on relationship between TMM and ESRI Collector on setting profiles

Posted 07-22-2020 10:11

Hi Lane,

Back to the Android... I don't think you fully answered the question on whether or not you also need to configure settings in Collector, as well as TMM.  "Collector recognized settings from TMM," but do you stick to Collector defaults or replicate the same settings you used in TMM, in Collector, as well? 

Thank you,
    Scott 

• 4.  Re: I am unclear on relationship between TMM and ESRI Collector on setting profiles

Posted 07-22-2020 13:33

Hi Scott,

There is no simple answer to this part of the question because it depends on the web map(s) coordinate system a user plans to be working in that day, the correction source properties, and the selections made in TMM for output reference frame.

I think this is still best covered in the second half of Matt's post: Orthometric Heights with Trimble GNSS & Esri Collector (Part 3 of 4):

"Note: With the availability of both static and time-dependent datum transformations in Trimble Mobile Manager, it is recommended that you do as much of the geodetic handling in TMM as possible. In particular, if you are working with Trimble RTX, you should set your local frame as the GNSS output reference frame in TMM as well as making it the GNSS coordinate system in Esri Collector’s Location profile. That will provide the most accurate transformation path between GNSS and the map."

In this scenario, it would be ideal to make a Location Profile in Collector, set the GNSS Coordinate System to match the output reference frame selected in TMM, and then select the appropriate Map coordinate system used by the web map(s) you intend to use. This may frequently be WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) but could very likely be a local coordinate system.

I hope this clears it up.

- Lane 

• 5.  Re: I am unclear on relationship between TMM and ESRI Collector on setting profiles

Posted 07-29-2020 11:19

What happens when/if I leave GNSS Output to Auto in TMM? Assuming my webmap in Collector in Android OS is Web Mercator Auxillery Sphere would I then be able to leave the Collector Location Profile to Default? i.e. if my correction source in NTRIP with NAD 83 2011 datum and that is set in TMM as the Correction Datum, but the Output Datum is left at Auto does that mean it outputs my data from TMM into Collector as WGS84?