Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Position consistently too far north-east of where it should be

• 1.  Position consistently too far north-east of where it should be

Posted 11-12-2020 13:18
      |   view attached

My Catalyst position is consistently approx 30 cm North and East of where it should be. I'm using Trimble VRS for the positioning corrections for some unmanned surface vessels that we have and we use the Catalyst for quality control checks on our offsets within the USVs. We also use the Catalyst along with the UAV Ground Control App for GCPs for our UAV surveys. Since the TMM has been updated for more geoids it is now defaulting to ITRF2014 and it is consistently approx 30cm N and E of where it should be everytime we use it in all the different settings. Now ITRF2008 was about that different from ITRF2000 but 2014 is meant to be the same as 2000.

Please could someone tell me either a) what I am doing wrong or b) how to fix it.

Many thanks,

Duncan

• 2.  Re: Position consistently too far north-east of where it should be

Posted 11-16-2020 05:38

Hi Duncan,

to be on the same page - what reference frame do you expect?

And what exactly is configured in the output frame option in TMM?

If you're using a Trimble VRS network (either Trimble Correction Hub or VRSNow) you get positions in a local frame - say NAD or an equivalent.

Your map is most likely based on WGS84 which is more or less equivalent to ITRF2014(Current).

This smells like a glitch in the datum settings - but without knowing the exact config its hard to tell.

The recent updates haven't touched the datum stuff; so the geoids are decoupled from this and SHOULD not affect anything. At least thats the theory.

Regards

Nico