Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

GPS Receivers and Coordinate systems in ESRI Collector

• 1.  GPS Receivers and Coordinate systems in ESRI Collector

Posted 07-29-2020 08:26

I have a interesting situation and I just don’t know if this will work with what equipment we are currently using.

R2 GNSS Receiver paired to a Ranger 7 W10 (Same as TSC7).  We are using GPS Controller to set up the ports and NMEA String as well as the NTRIP Correction and then setting up the location provider in ESRI Collector to receive the corrected information.

Every time they open a new map they receive an error which states that the location profile does not match.    ESRI Sent my customer this link to use Mobile Manager to configure location profiles

https://community.trimble.com/docs/DOC-25386-configuring-the-correct-gnss-receiver-coordinate-system-in-esri-collector

Now according to the link you should be able to go into Trimble Mobile Manager and configure the Coordinate system, can I ask will that tie in properly with the GPS Controller or is there a way to configure a different coordinate system in that application.  Any help or guidance you can provide is appreciated, I just don’t see how Trimble Mobile Manager will work in conjunction with the GPS Controller Application which is defining the ports and correction source. 

Any help or has anyone else run into this issue. 

#esricollectorforarcgis

• 2.  Re: GPS Receivers and Coordinate systems in ESRI Collector

Posted 07-30-2020 14:15

post the location profile that you are using.  Make sure that you are using "Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere" and now Web Merctor for the map coordinate system.

• 3.  Re: GPS Receivers and Coordinate systems in ESRI Collector

Posted 07-30-2020 14:22

Thank you Eric - I did hear directly back from Tom Harrison 

This document was written specifically for Catalyst i.e. before TMM supported the R series and won't work with what you are trying to achieve here (but 10/10 for creativity!)

The only thing you can do with the R2 is load a default geoid for it to output the height correctly - If you are using NMEA then it will just be Lat/Lon HAE.

I've attached an old PDF on how to do this but I don't think it will solve your problem here sorry

"Configuring the R2 for Running with a geoid model"  - Tom

• 4.  Re: GPS Receivers and Coordinate systems in ESRI Collector

Posted 10-15-2020 09:36

Could you post a url for the pdf? The elevation I'm capturing with a Nomad 5 and R2 is about -30m.  My hope is loading a geoid into the R2 will fix the elevation.  

• 5.  Re: GPS Receivers and Coordinate systems in ESRI Collector

Posted 10-15-2020 09:47

Just so we're all the same page...the original question was specific to Windows in which case the recommended solution is to use GPS Controller and NMEA. There is no coordinate system handling in GPS Controller. For Collector, all coordinate system settings are handled through the Location Profile area in which you define the coordinate system of the corrected GNSS and select the transformation for working with the web map. If your web maps do not use a consistent coordinate system, you will likely need a separate location profile for each coordinate system used.

Trimble Mobile Manager, which does provide support for coordinate system transformations (using Trimble components) and orthometric height calculation, is only available on Android and iOS. Esri's response likely assumed the question was about iOS or Android.