Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Trimble Cataylst Compatibilies and Options

• 1.  Trimble Cataylst Compatibilies and Options

Posted 02-07-2019 09:49

I'm looking into the Catalyst system but had a few questions that I have not been able to find answers on.

1. I am looking for a way to view Bentley MicroStation files on a tablet in the field. If I pair the Catalyst with the tablet and run a Bentley app such as OpenRoads Navigator, will the accuracy of my location within the Bentley app be improved based on the Catalyst pairing?

2. If I use the Catalyst system to plot as built coordinates, what export files capabilities do I have? Ultimately I'd like to be able to import the plotted coordinates into MicroStation for as-builts.

Thanks for the help!

Doug

• 2.  Re: Trimble Cataylst Compatibilies and Options
    Best Answer

Posted 02-08-2019 05:00

Hi Doug

To answer your questions...

1) 3rd party apps like Open Roads Navigator can use the location information provided by Catalyst via Mock locations. In this case you would use Trimble Mobile Manager ( Download via Play store)  to connect to Catalyst and Share the GNSS via Mock locations. The 3rd party app would then simply use the GNSS feed provided by Catalyst through the location manager.

2) Catalyst isn't a data collection app but a software based GNSS solution. Catalyst provides on demand, precision GNSS data for your app's to use. We have an SDK for developers to directly Integrate Catalyst into their app  or you can just use TMM and share the GNSS information to any 3rd party app via mock locations.

We have a list of Catalyst Enabled Apps on the website - you might want to look at Trimble Penmap If you are importing files for navigation or stake out purposes.

If you haven't already done so I'd recommend you looking at the Catalyst homepage for an overview of the Technology too

#catalystsdk #catalyst 

• 3.  Re: Trimble Cataylst Compatibilies and Options

Posted 02-08-2019 08:08

Tom - 

Thanks for the information. I am a bit confused though regarding your reply to #2. From what I've seen in the various videos on the Catalyst system, I see people plotting points on maps within the app. Are you saying it doesn't plot those points or there's no way to retrieve those points from the system?

Thanks,

Doug

• 4.  Re: Trimble Cataylst Compatibilies and Options

Posted 02-08-2019 09:16

Hi Douglas

Those videos will be using either a Catalyst enabled app or a 3rd party application to plot points/ lines/ capture GIS information etc.

Catalyst provides your smart device with a high accuracy GNSS position, which can then be used by an application in whatever way its designed for... 

http://terraflex.trimble.com/terraflex-catalyst.htm

• 5.  Re: Trimble Cataylst Compatibilies and Options

Posted 02-13-2019 00:58

Hi Doug,

Penmap for Android can connect to Trimble Catalyst. 

The Application is able to show the measured points and also allows import dxf, stakeout points and export points to csv or shape.

You can see a short summary here:

Trimble Penmap for Android Overview Video - YouTube 

Kind regards

Cornelia