Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all
  • 1.  iPhone

Posted 01-28-2019 23:15

Hi - Disappointed that you don't offer an iOS option. So my question is: if I use my Samsung Tab Active 2 as the main device, can I use my iPhone internet connection as a Personal Hotspot to save having to buy another SIM card for Catalyst?

So when will you be launching the iOS version? And why is it taking you so long?

You need to offer all options to customers, Android is not as popular as iOS.

• 2.  Re: iPhone

Posted 01-29-2019 08:28

We have a very active roadmap of enhancements planned for Catalyst this year and of course, iOS is something we are looking at.

The Catalyst team's goal is to eventually support all modern mobile operating systems with the solution.

We chose to launch with worldwide Android support as a first release for time-to-market reasons. Android was the fastest to implement out of the existing, dominant mobile operating systems, but we acknowledge strong demand for other operating systems too. 

In the meantime you can use your iPhone as a mobile hotspot to provide internet connectivity to another Android device to use Catalyst.

In our experience the Samsung Tab Active 2 is a little under-powered for use with Catalyst so you might see some performance issues related to your device. Typically larger screen's/ tablets demand more CPU than smaller phones so I'd recommend always having the external battery connected and running the Catalyst antenna as host, to provide your tablet with constant power.

• The quick start guide run's you through the setup here - just make sure to connect the battery to the antenna BEFORE you plug the tablet in
    • You can also double check the minimum specs and compatibility list here

• 3.  Re: iPhone

Posted 01-31-2019 11:25

Hi Tom

Thanks for the reply, albeit somewhat disappointing.

The iOS app needs to be released as a priority with all supporting apps. You cant just target the Android market. I am happy to be an iOS beta tester if you need one.

Surprised to hear the TAB Active 2 is underpowered…I operate my Wingtra fixed wing VTOL UAV from this tablet and it performs very well – would be strange if it had an issue with a GPS antenna?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks, Phil

Philip M. Angell, BSc, MRICS

CEO | Chartered Surveyor

• 4.  Re: iPhone
    Best Answer

Posted 02-04-2019 05:08

Hi Phil

Thanks for the feedback, rest assured we are looking at iOS (and other popular OS platforms) as a matter of priority in 2019.

To add some further context to this discussion... Android currently runs around 75% of all mobile devices worldwide against iOS's 21%. Catalyst also requires a lot of low level optimisation, which also drove the selection of Android as the initial platform for release as this was 'easier' to achieve with this OS.

With regards to the TAB Active 2 - I can only go by the specifications I can find on the internet, in this case it does meet the minimum requirements we have, but I'd always like to see the CPU a little higher for tablets/ larger screen devices, especially if you are loading multiple applications.

Catalyst needs a strong CPU because it is using software to do all of the work a dedicated GNSS chip would normally do. In practice this means Catalyst is consuming a digital signal sampled many millions of times per second, a typical UAV control application processes sensor data sampled a few hundred times per second...

I've checked with the team and we haven't tested this specific Samsung tablet internally, but If you are concerned with performance, I would recommend you open up a case with our support team by submitting the log files following the instructions here. This will give us the detailed spec's of your tablet as well as a lot of other useful information related to Catalyst and the loading. We can then determine whats going on and offer advice

Please add as much contextual detail as you can to the email so the support team are able to understand what to look for.

I hope this extra detail helps 

• 5.  Re: iPhone

Posted 02-04-2019 05:13

Hi Tom

I have now ordered the product from Korec. Someone I know mentioned to watch out for a USB adapter as apparently Catalyst uses an older version? Maybe you can advise what I might require?

Regards, Phil

• 6.  Re: iPhone

Posted 10-02-2020 10:46

Tom Harrison wrote:

We have a very active roadmap of enhancements planned for Catalyst this year and of course, iOS is something we are looking at.

The Catalyst team's goal is to eventually support all modern mobile operating systems with the solution.

We chose to launch with worldwide Android support as a first release for time-to-market reasons. Android was the fastest to implement out of the existing, dominant mobile operating systems, but we acknowledge strong demand for other operating systems too. 

In the meantime you can use your iPhone as a mobile hotspot to provide internet connectivity to another Android device to use Catalyst.

In our experience the Samsung Tab Active 2 is a little under-powered for use with Catalyst so you might see some performance issues related to your device. Typically larger screen's/ tablets demand more CPU than smaller phones so I'd recommend always having the external battery connected and running the Catalyst antenna as host, to provide your tablet with constant power.

• The quick start guide run's you through the setup here - just make sure to connect the battery to the antenna BEFORE you plug the tablet in
    • You can also double check the minimum specs and compatibility list here

This board is one of few places where iOS is mentioned along with Catalyst.  The iOS community may not be as large as Android, but perhaps the potential Catalyst users would greatly increase if it becomes compatible for iOS.  Just another vote with many clients who would also vote for this capability.

• 7.  Re: iPhone

Posted 02-04-2019 06:59

The standard Catalyst cable is fitted with a microUSB port (type-b) connector which at the time covered the majority of smart devices. 

Recently there has been a shift to type-c connectors and so Catalyst now ships with a Trimble Catalyst micro-B to type-C USB converter (PN 114199) to fit these devices.

For more information on this take a look at the following resources:

Your local Trimble distributor, Korec in this case, will have a dedicated support and sales team who will be able to take you through technical information like this and will be more than happy to help. 

• 8.  Re: iPhone

Posted 02-07-2019 23:28

Hi Tom

Just to let you know that the Tab Active2 is fully compatible with Catalyst. Works very well.

Thanks, Phil

• 9.  Re: iPhone

Posted 02-08-2019 02:10

Thanks for the update Phil

Input like this is incredibly useful for the community and other Catalyst users.

We'll continue to update the Catalyst Compatible Device list as our test team continue to evaluate devices on the market