Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

USB Connection Problems

Thread closed by the administrator, not accepting new replies.
  • 1.  USB Connection Problems

Posted 07-17-2018 07:05
    No replies, thread closed.

I just received my new Catalyst a couple of weeks ago. I used it last week with no problems, and suddenly this week I'm getting a message in TMM that says "UBS Connection Problems - Please check the antenna and USB cables" when I try to connect to the Catalyst. All the cables are connected correctly, and I even took apart the receiver to make sure the USB cable hadn't been loosened on the inside. I uninstalled and reinstalled the TMM and the Trimble Catalyst Service apps too. Nothing has worked. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm connecting to a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2. Thanks!

• 2.  Re: USB Connection Problems
    Best Answer

Posted 07-18-2018 03:01

Hi,

one generic issue with Samsung devices and high IP ratings is this:

Moisture detected in charging port...(Samsung devices).

Otherwise the error message you mention is a TMM error message indicating a communication issue with the antenna. So the antenna does not reply 'as expected' or at all. 

Do you have a second Android phone to cross check. 

My first guess would also be a cable (especially if a USB-C adapter is in between) - but if it fails with a different phone it might also be the antenna itself (for whatever reason). 

Nico

• 3.  Re: USB Connection Problems

Posted 07-26-2018 10:19

Thanks for the suggestion, Nico! We tried the antenna on an Android phone, and it didn't work on that device either. We just ended up getting a new antenna, and everything seems to work now.

• 4.  Re: USB Connection Problems

Posted 07-26-2018 09:22

We too have seen this issue with Samsung Galaxy 8 phone.  Our work around was to turn the phone off.  Plug the USB cable into the phone and then power up the phone and then start TMM.  This seemed to let us continue to work.

If it doesn't solve the issue then replace the USB cable.

Jay

• 5.  Re: USB Connection Problems

Posted 07-26-2018 10:23

Thanks for the suggestion, Jay! We did try this, and it didn't work in our case. We just ended up getting a new Catalyst, and everything looks like it's working again.

Becky