Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem with Positions 10 install V 10.8.0.1 and ArcGIS 10.8

• 1.  Problem with Positions 10 install V 10.8.0.1 and ArcGIS 10.8

Posted 06-16-2020 12:36

I have installed a single user Positions Desktop add-in for ArcGIS on my Win 10 machine. Process seems smooth and no problems were encountered. When starting ArcGIS 10.8 the Positions tool bar appears but when I click the  icon to "Show Trimble Positions Desktop Administration Window" the icon "greys out" but that's it. Nothing else happens. Similarly clicking the toggle for desktop visibility causes the ico to grey but nothing else happens. No error messages, nothing. Any advice?

• 2.  Re: Problem with Positions 10 install V 10.8.0.1 and ArcGIS 10.8

Posted 06-16-2020 12:42

Hi William. Let's check...

1. Did you create the database configuration using the Desktop Configuration app?
    2. Is the extension enabled under ArcMap's Customize...Extensions... menu?

• 3.  Re: Problem with Positions 10 install V 10.8.0.1 and ArcGIS 10.8

Posted 06-16-2020 12:55

Yes and Yes. I created the SQLLIte service and ran configuration manager and tested and saved configuration. Trimble Positions is checked in the Customize list but Trimble Positions Terrasync is NOT. We're planning on using TerraFlex.

• 4.  Re: Problem with Positions 10 install V 10.8.0.1 and ArcGIS 10.8

Posted 06-18-2020 10:40

Maybe you guys got this working, but just wondering if when you go into the Desktop Configuration, click other options and go to Manage Base Stations, are you able to click the Update records with stations from a cbs_list.csv?  I've found that sometimes problems will show themselves here and it might give you another clue into the issue... especially if it's the coordinate system manager issue.

• 5.  Re: Problem with Positions 10 install V 10.8.0.1 and ArcGIS 10.8

Posted 06-19-2020 06:42

I ran into this the other day. The customer had to make changes to the TPD.lic file in their windows directory. The .lic file retained a device ID that was different from the device that positions was installed on. 

• 6.  Re: Problem with Positions 10 install V 10.8.0.1 and ArcGIS 10.8

Posted 06-19-2020 07:43

All, Thanks to advice from Alison Walker from Frontier Precision the issue was quickly corrected. Not surprisingly the problem was the nut behind the wheel. AKA me. Even though I've been using Arc for years I only set the customize flag for the toolbar .. and forgot to do it for the extension! Duh.

I'd urge Trimble to add an error message.. "extension is not enabled" for other idiots like me. Alison says the situation is common. Which is more frightening than reassuring.

Thanks to all the community for help. Great group.

• 7.  Re: Problem with Positions 10 install V 10.8.0.1 and ArcGIS 10.8

Posted 06-19-2020 10:05

Thanks for the comments, Fred. We do actually display a message that the extension has been disabled but only if the dockable window is already open. The challenge is that most of the add-in logic and behavior is dependent on the extension being enabled - but we can look further. Maybe we see if we can not disable the toggle window button when the extension is disabled....so that at least when you opened it you'd see the message.