Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Calibrating Height at Ground

• 1.  Calibrating Height at Ground

Posted 12-14-2019 23:12

Monday I did a job with GCP's that has already been surveyed by a Trimble R8. The BM that they shot was 979.469 ft on NAD83 (2011). I set the Catalyst to the same in TMM. But I was 111.8 ft off. Has anyone put in a negative number in for the Antenna Height and it work? Or has anyone compared numbers to a calibrated system? 

• 2.  Re: Calibrating Height at Ground
    Best Answer

Posted 01-06-2020 01:40

Hi Austin, 

sorry for the delay here - the holiday season...

The survey you performed with the Trimble R8 - which software did you use here?

A height offset of 111.8 sounds like an applied geoid. 

GCP (and/ via) TMM apply a time dependent datum transformation which adjust for stuff like tectonic plate movement - TMM does not apply geoids at the moment. 

Those adjustments are important if you mix correction sources - like SBAS and/ or Trimble RTX and/ or VRS/ RTK stuff. 

The system NAD83 is a composition of things - if you go here: EPSG Geodetic Parameter Registry  and search for 'NAD83' you'll find a whole lot of matches plus. If you open one of those (say EPSG::6319) you'll see a section about 'Geodetic Datum' and potentially (depending on the epsg) an applied geoid. 

I'd guess you have an applied geoid while GCP provides ellipsoidal heights.

Regards

Nico