Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Positions TerraSync Import Project Questions

• 1.  Positions TerraSync Import Project Questions

Posted 04-25-2020 16:46

I'm using latest Positions versions, up-to-date Juno 3B, Geo7x, Geo2008 using TerraSync 5.86 devices all using the Project "Terrasync Import DDF/SSF approach.  Questions, and requests for enhancements:

1) Enhancement - In between feature positions.  In between feature logging when enabled on TerraSync is not being checked in alongside features.  This should be automatically consumable since the data is sitting in the SSF file as POSITIONS. Many scientists use this for "walk surveys", ensuring they don't cover locations (archeologists) looking for things,or walking grids.   This is a basic feature of Garmin like devices, that is a necessary function of our long-used devices. can you get that in next release?

2) Device naming - Maybe I am doing something wrong, but before a feature is checked in, can devices be named (properties) BEFORE data is checked back in?  I name my devices on check in, but the session is already tagged "device 1", not giving me a chance to define the session "Mapper 1 etc".  This could just be me - i'm learning.

3) Differential processing datum nomenclature - incorrect.  Datums are a bit of my thing, and like PFO has led to horrible confusion.  I like the diff. wizard in Positions, but its incorrect by stating or defaulting to expressing the datum of a base station as WGS-1984 LLH).  For example one of the longest running CORS in Anchorage has this line of code after it. Position (WGS-1984 LLH): 61° 10' 30.81312" N, 149° 59' 0.29791" W, 57.506m, Antenna Height: 0m

CORS stations are not in WGS84, but in two reference frames today IGS08 or NAD83 (2011).  In PFO wizard, at least the wizard gave a reporting of both reference frames (irrespective of choosing use position from base or provider_, and even that is better than the current tact of just saying to the user.. hey, your in WGS84(1984).  Very poor choice of text, and I think NGS could debate this much better than me.  

A preference is simply interogate, the position/velocity page of a station you choose - CORS pages are freeely available - your software guys could simply harvest the coordinates - and show them - and you don't have to automate which one to use, just say "hey user, you could be in either of these reference frames". Here is the link to the station - practice due diligence and check coordinates against the provider".  What is going on now is so very far from truth.

4) Save to file for differential - make it automatic.  A two step process to click save to file, then browse to the location, then save is way too many steps for such an essential metadata.  PFO automates that with save settings.  Please have that in a settings "Hey, want to save correction setings to a file upon completion".  Yes.

5) AUTO ZOOM to features.  check box - auto zoom.  that way, you can bounce around quicker feature to features.

6) Am I missing something, but distances can only be displayed in Decimal degrees?  The GDB created from the DDF is GCS WGS84, isn't there a way to set units, and have distances store in real units in the attribute table? I may have missed a step.

7) Are offsets handled like PFO, ensuring manipulation of an offset after the field inside a positions workflow?  

thanks - this is quite a good product and my students are enjoying moving beyond PFO.  

• 2.  Re: Positions TerraSync Import Project Questions

Posted 04-30-2020 15:47

Thanks, Joel...I'll follow-up with you but some quick answers below...

1. Where would you want to put these line/track features? Prompt for a polyline (or point?) feature class at the time of import with option to create new? I guess there is no real attribution to speak of other than perhaps a range of dates and times.

2. Once you've checked-in data from a device, that devices gets registered with Trimble Positions - and you can then rename it from the Devices area of the Administration window.

3. Yes...well aware of the problems here. This is all being redesigned and I'll send you the latest designs.

4. Fair request...relatively easy to do although you'd have to (somewhere) tell it where you want the file saved as we don't work with project folders the way PFO did. Incidentally, this text is automatically included in the main Trimble Positions log file - but you're looking for something a bit different.

5. Fair request...relatively easy to do.

6. You can change ArcMap's distance unit and display settings but I'm not sure that's what you're asking. The only distance metadata we store is accuracies - and those will generally always be in the horizontal or vertical distance units of the coordinate system of the particular feature class you're working with.

7. Yes. In the Session Manager dockable window, you can drill into a feature to see it's constructions. If it's an offset type construction (see the Tree View display option), you can edit the offset values.

• 3.  Re: Positions TerraSync Import Project Questions

Posted 05-05-2020 14:46

1. RE: Not in Feature positions.  Load POSNPT into the GDB as points. Date/time at a minimum as attributes.

2. Device naming - must have been me then.  So, even after creating the attribute table for a Corrected, Updated feature, going back, creating a name for the device, will, update the attribute table values from "Device_1{" to something? That will work.

3.Datum handling - look towards PFO - the most mature way of handling datums is there. We heard from my students - they, actually said - hey, where are teh coordinates of the base file - i can't confirm them against CORS.  We are raising pretty skookum GIS folks. We need a way to quickly confirm what is being held.  The whole issue of your seeded coordinates is, i hope the first thing that gets eliminated - since 2002, CORS is on its 3rd reference frame, now 2014.  I fear the unitiated are clicking use reference positon from base provider - they are really screwing it up.

4. Correct File - at least maybe during a project, have the save to remember, last directory.

6. - I meant, distances in the attribute table - they are assigned DD with GCS. I now see if I switch CS to a UTM projection, they are meters.  Solved.

7. Offsets - great.