Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Hardware ? Geo7x, 6000 SD Card not Engaging Issue

• 1.  Hardware ? Geo7x, 6000 SD Card not Engaging Issue

Posted 06-04-2020 16:52

Have others seen this, or hopefully someone can help.

I am getting consistent (on 7x and 6000) the inability for the SD Card slot to engage with the card.

You press in to a lock position.  and you can't connect to card.

YOU PRESS CARD IN ALL WAY, press and hold, and you get the device to recognize storage card.

Anyone seen this?  I'm guessing manufacturting tolerances.  I've tried several cards.

• 2.  Re: Hardware ? Geo7x, 6000 SD Card not Engaging Issue

Posted 09-09-2020 14:05
    What is possible to happen in this case is a wear of the SD card (and/or inside the GeoExplorer). 
    The SD Card socket has sliding contacts and the contact patch is fixed, so as you push the card into the socket the contacts slide over the SD card contacts. Pushing into the connector to the lock position results in the pushing the card further into the socket, it then springs back to the lock position. So pushing the card further into the socket will use a different contact patch on the card than it will see in the lock position. 
    The sliding nature of these connectors does cause wear over time of both parts but specifically on the SD card. With a worn SD card  the electrical contact on the card  is not available in the locked position.
    If the SD card shows signs of wear it's time to replace it. We recommend using quality cards. Not only for data integrity in general but also the mechanical quality is higher. 
    If the card is new and of good specification and condition, we may likely just have a defect with the socket on that particular product. To troubleshoot you can use another or a new card and check if that card connects.  
    If the trouble shooting indicates the GeoExplorer socket has a problem return the product for service to inspect.  
    Image of a worn SD card:
    Worn SD card

• 3.  RE: Re: Hardware ? Geo7x, 6000 SD Card not Engaging Issue

Posted 01-13-2021 13:16
    Thanks Mathias,
    Great points.  Until a year ago, i never used the SD slots in Geo's - didn't have to because we in the federal govt. could use WMDC for data transfer.
    Folks are using that slot alot more now for data transfer via USB switcher app.

tx.

------------------------------
    Joel Cusick
    ------------------------------