Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Can TerraFlex/Positions Deal with a SDE Version Checkout

• 1.  Can TerraFlex/Positions Deal with a SDE Version Checkout

Posted 11-21-2019 17:15

Not found in the documentation.  But in the US Fed Govt. case, Offline TerraFlex is our only method (released this October).  Documentation specifies this will work as the add in with pGDB and fGDB.  Does this include a version checked out by SDE?

• 2.  Re: Can TerraFlex/Positions Deal with a SDE Version Checkout

Posted 12-23-2019 12:40

Joel,

Did you get a reply to this? I believe the answer is yes but I cannot test, as i don't have SDE setup. If you haven't gotten an answer, I will help facilitate this. 

• 3.  Re: Can TerraFlex/Positions Deal with a SDE Version Checkout

Posted 01-23-2020 13:32

Yes...it fully supports connections to enterprise geodatabases including specific versions. Trimble Positions will use the connections to your geodatabase as they are specified in the map document. You'll note that when opening a project in Trimble Positions (setting it as current) you're only able to use projects that have a workspace compatible with what's in the currently open map document. When you create the project, we take a snapshot of the workspace and it has to match the current workspace in order to open that project in the future. For enterprise geodatabases, that means you would have to be using the same version to be able to open the project. This was intentional as we didn't want to let you create a project from one version and then check-in data to a different version or geodatabase (where the schema may have changed). If you change versions, you'll have to create a new project. Now, if that's a workflow you require, we have support tooling to allow you to change the workspace summary information that gets stored with the project - to allow you to use it with a different workspace.

• 4.  Re: Can TerraFlex/Positions Deal with a SDE Version Checkout

Posted 01-23-2020 13:36

Oh can you expand on that last sentence Matt?  Is that something we can have access to?  We often have people who will change servers or stuff gets renamed, and we want to be able to just change the workspace rather than re-create the project.  Would the support tooling you mentioned do this?

• 5.  Re: Can TerraFlex/Positions Deal with a SDE Version Checkout

Posted 01-23-2020 13:49

Yep...it was originally called Workspace Switcher. The risk in using it was that it's a fairly low level tool and there's no validation done to make sure that 1) the new workspace information you are providing is valid, and 2) that the schema in the new workspace is identical to that of the original workspace (at least for the feature classes that are used in the project). I'll see about refreshing this tool and making it available to dealers and CTs.