Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to tell current OS on TDC600

• 1.  How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 08-20-2021 11:23
    I see that there was an OS update for the TDC600 back in Jan 2021,and that got me wondering how to I tell on the 600 which OS update am I currently using.  I've poked around in the About Phone area in Settings, but I can't seem to relate what I'm seeing in there to the OS Updates that are on Trimble's website.  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Matthew King

• 2.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 08-23-2021 07:01
    Matthew,
    You will see the Android version in Settings>System>About Phone
    Bill

Bill Staggs

• 3.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 08-23-2021 07:23
    Thanks Bill for the response.  I do know about that screen to see which version of Android is on the 600, but I'm specifically talking about which version of the Trimble OS Update is on the unit.  See screenshot below for the OS Updates Trimble has released.  I believe regardless of the Trimble OS Update, it's always going to be Android 8.

Matthew King

• 4.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600
    Best Answer

Posted 08-26-2021 08:13
    Hi Matthew

You can find this out via the BUILD NUMBER
    • Navigate to SETTINGS > SYSTEM > ABOUT PHONE > BUILD NUMBER 
    • The latest OS build Number = TDC600.53.80.53
    If your device displays something different then you are on an earlier OS version and should update

Tom Harrison

• 5.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 08-26-2021 08:57
    Tom,
    I am at 53.80.41.  What do I need to for 53.80.53?
    Bill

Bill Staggs

• 6.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 09-02-2021 07:14
    Hi Bill

You need to browse to the TDC600 Download page and follow the instructions in the Support Bulletin: Operating System Upgrade Procedure for TDC600
    This already links to the latest OS patch which is listed as TDC600 OS Update_1220 on the downloads page

Tom Harrison

• 7.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 08-30-2021 06:51
    Edited by Matthew King 08-30-2021 06:53
    Thanks @Tom Harrison!  That then leads me to another question, where in the OS Upgrade documentation can you find the build number? I've looked and can't find it.  

Since you're with Trimble, then would you mind passing on the suggestion that the OS documentation state the build number and then how to find it on the device itself (like how you just did).  You need both information in order for it to be useful.

Thanks!

Matthew King

• 8.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 08-31-2021 07:57
    Tom,
    I second what Matthew says.  I can't find where in the TDS600 to insert an SD card.  Why are we restricted to an 8 g micro and 32 g SD?
    Biil

Bill Staggs

• 9.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 09-01-2021 04:42
    @Bill Staggs the micro SD card slot is located under the battery kind of above/on top of the SIM card...no clue why the micro SD size restriction for an OS Update.  We have a separate card just for that.  Thankfully they're dirt cheap.​

Matthew King

• 10.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 09-01-2021 06:24
    Thanks Matthew, 
    Why do they even discuss SD cards?  From my point of view the only way to use an SD card is via an adapter for the charging port.
    Bill

• 11.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 09-02-2021 07:20
    Hi Bill

The Support Bulletin: Operating System Upgrade Procedure for TDC600 referenced above gives you all the instructions here. 
    The SD restrictions are based on the supported File type - In this case the TDC600 only supports FAT32 which limits you to a maximum of 32GB SD/SDHC. There's a great article on this here
    The other formats are not supported and so not readable by the Android OS the TDC600 uses

Tom Harrison

• 12.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 09-07-2021 11:16
    @Tom Harrison, @Bill Staggs

Depending on where you look, the TDC600 can accept either a 128GB or 256GB microSDHC card.  I say "depending on where you look" because the datasheet for the 600 states 256GB but the User Guide (page 22) states 128GB  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's just the microSDHC card that's used for the OS update cannot be greater than 32GB.​​

Matthew King

• 13.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 09-15-2021 07:46
    Hi Tom   we need to upgrade TDC600 Android 8.0  to version 9 and higher asap since all our local bids are requiring a minimum Android 10.0  so we are being disqualified technically for non complaint device specs   HELP

Alexander Holsteinson

• 14.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 09-02-2021 07:26
    Good suggestion Matthew, I'll pass it on.
    Typically we will ALWAYS reference the latest build in the release notes or bulletins that guide you how to perform these updates as in this case, the Support Bulletin: Operating System Upgrade Procedure for TDC600 does reference and link to the latest update only

Tom Harrison

• 15.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 09-07-2021 11:36
    Edited by Matthew King 09-07-2021 11:36
    @Tom Harrison  unless I missed it I don't see anywhere on the latest release notes (January 6, 2021) any reference to the TDC600.53.80.53 build number.  In fact, the OS download zip file itself doesn't have the build number in it's name.

As an example of what I think is good documentation are the 7x OS updates release notes, they have the build number in the title as well as in the document itself.  And, in the earlier release notes it even stated how to find which version you have on the device.

Matthew King

• 16.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 08-31-2021 08:13
    Hi Tom why the TDC600 can not autoupdate its Android OS as most smartphones?

There is no way to upgrade it to Android OS 10 (or better yet 11.x?)

Best

Alex

Alexander Holsteinson

• 17.  RE: How to tell current OS on TDC600

Posted 09-02-2021 07:24
    Hi Alex

As a general answer this is to primarily ensure compatibility with our SW and other HW solutions. Often there's proprietary technology such as specific drivers or even modified GNSS chipsets inside our Android devices which makes them specific to Trimble. It therefore remains better to have a stable set of controlled and known builds to work from.
    Generally speaking there is not that much difference between Android builds at the moment at least for what our customers use these devices for but the engineering teams have taken this feedback on board and are programming in OS refreshes as part of our Android HW in future

Tom Harrison