Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Mobile Manager- Offline issues

• 1.  Mobile Manager- Offline issues

Posted 04-28-2021 10:28
    We're using Trimble Mobile Manager configured with ESRI's Field Maps app to connect to an R2 receiver. At random times, the Mobile Manager app freezes on the sign-in page when we don't have an internet connection in the field. When that happens, we're unable to collect data in an offline setting. This is a HUGE problem- our work is always conducted offline, often hours from the office. How can we configure the Mobile Manager app to stay signed in or bypass this requirement?

------------------------------
    Aaron Worthley

• 2.  RE: Mobile Manager- Offline issues

Posted 04-28-2021 23:54
    Hi Aaron,

technically TMM caches the downloaded subscription files and is happy with that file for 30 days. 

Can you take a look at the version number you're using - just to be on the same page. It should be TMM 2.8 as of the date of this reply. 
    Also are you working completely offline or is the network just shaky? If the phone has some sort of internet (slow) TMM might be able to get a reply from the server - but the actual loading of the page fails/ takes forever. Switching the phone into flight mode or turning off data would fix this problem or at least nail it down to an unstable network. 
    As a last comment it would also be helpful if you could shoot the TMM log file (via 'About' and 'Send log') to the default support email. The log gives us some insight on what and why things go wrong. It may contain something useful.

Regards
    Nico

Nico Becke

• 3.  RE: Mobile Manager- Offline issues

Posted 04-29-2021 05:13
    Hi Nico- We're running 2.8.0.967 on iOS. We are working completely offline. Our iOS devices do not have cellular SIM cards, so only have online connectivity in the office on wifi.
    Does the 30 days reset every time you sign in while connected, or does it only re-cache when the 30 days are up? I'm looking at a workaround where we open the app to sign in before leaving the office every day, but if it only re-caches at the 30 day mark that won't do any good. We work in rural Vermont, where connectivity is often non-existent, even if our devices support it. Having to sign-in at random unannounced times is a major issue.

By way of troubleshooting I have confirmed that as soon as we get back to wifi range, we're able to sign in and everything works again.

Aaron Worthley

• 4.  RE: Mobile Manager- Offline issues

Posted 04-29-2021 06:07
    Hi Aaron,

the license/ subscription gets refreshed with every login and every now and then if TMM is running - so we refresh the license in the background automatically.
    Every time we download a file from the server it has fresh 30 days - its basically the timestamp of the file/ when the file was loaded from the server.

In theory it should be totally fine to log in once on a Monday morning - afterwards you can work multiple weeks without the need of a login. 

The typical trouble maker cases are if the phone tells us it has an internet connection - but the connection is so slow that the license refresh time-outs. Then you may get in a state as described.
    If the phone has no SIM at all it gets weird - then it could be an issue introduced on our side recently. 

So it would be great if you could shoot us a log - that should shed some light one this. If you already did so - I don't see those emails directly... But I'll take a look around.

And I'll see that I do some tests on iOS here - if I can reproduce the issue.

Nico

Nico Becke

• 5.  RE: Mobile Manager- Offline issues

Posted 04-29-2021 08:03
    Our units with the most recent issues are out in the field today- I'll pull a log from one of them when it's back in the office. Yesterday I had our field person drive to where they had cell reception, and use their personal cell phone as a hotspot to get signed-in, then it worked.  The devices otherwise never have internet connection when in the field. The symptoms are varied and somewhat inconsistent, but seem to include: stuck on TMM sign-in screen, incorrect or no location appearing in ESRI Field Maps, Field Maps location averaging not working. In each case, after returning to wifi connectivity and signing in with TMM, the issue has apparently resolved.

The phones definitely have no SIM of their own, so I'm curious about the introduced issue you mention as well.

It would be really nice if we weren't locked out of working if/when the sign-in expires. Our field users don't typically interact with the TMM app, it fires automatically and momentarily when Field Maps is switched from the integrated GPS to the R2 receivers, and that's where we're getting stuck. Keeping the workflow simple and easy for field users is important.

Aaron Worthley

• 6.  RE: Mobile Manager- Offline issues

Posted 05-03-2021 12:28
    Hi Nico- I just sent a log file from the TMM app- it's from another user account in our organization. This issue is continuing to develop- this particular user was unable to sign in last week, so they drove to a location with cell service and signed in via a hotspot on their personal cell phone. They were able to return to the site and complete the work. Today (far less than 30 days later), they had the problem again, and again had to find service and connect via personal hotspot in order to do their work. I really need to find a solution to this as it's a major interruption to our productivity.
    Thanks for any help

Aaron Worthley

• 7.  RE: Mobile Manager- Offline issues

Posted 05-04-2021 01:13
    Hi Aaron,
    I got hold of the email from Dori - thanks for sending this.
    I'll have a look and see if it sheds any additional light on things. 

Thanks
    Nico

Nico Becke

• 8.  RE: Mobile Manager- Offline issues

Posted 05-04-2021 11:21
    Hi Nico- Just had issues with another user. I had them log in yesterday while online and encountered connection issues today while offline. It wasn't until they got connected to wifi and I walked them through all kinds of troubleshooting trial and error, ending with a full force restart of the device and logging in with TMM while online that we got it working.

We previously used our R2 units with ESRI ArcGIS Collector in an offline environment for 2 years with no issues. Now that ESRIs Field Maps requires connection via TMM, it's been a giant hassle and not appropriate for our biologists in the field (non-IT professionals). Is it possible to contact me directly to continue working on this? We need resolution on this- it's costing way too much time and money.

Aaron Worthley

• 9.  RE: Mobile Manager- Offline issues
    Best Answer

Posted 05-05-2021 00:16
    Edited by Higher Logic System 09-20-2021 09:00

So...
    The log contains some erros while we try to download a license - all those errors are handled correctly from what I've seen so far (still ongoing).
    I also tried to reproduce the issue here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aQEHTH19hPZjLVnvfju2WTSuICRDAvQ1/view?usp=sharing
    The attached video shows me stumbling through the iOS menu (note: I'm not an iOS person).

The things I've done:
    1. logged in via TMM and connected to my R12i setting at my window (don't pay attention to the precision - its not good - because the receiver has nearly 65% of the sky covered by a house right now).
    2. [0:22] logged in via Field Maps, had an offline map already downloaded and my receiver selected --> connected fine (you can see TMM getting launched, then closing)
    3. [0:40] killed all apps (to be sure nothing is in memory), turned on flight mode
    4. [0:49] started TMM in flight mode - all good... things load nicely, I can connect
    5. [1:05] jumped to Field Maps, killed TMM before (not required, again to ensure nothing sits in memory that would improve the situation as described above), but connected 
    6. [1:26] jumped a bit back and forth, you can see Field Maps reports being offline - so in theory all as expected
    7. [1:35] more testing/ killing apps/ testing TMM vs FM. But so far I haven't found an issue

Can you check if your issue is still there if you
    1. Start FM
    2. Select your Trimble receiver
    3. Verify that you have a valid receiver position
    4. Kill everything to simulate the phone being off/ applications got postponed by the OS
    5. Go into flight mode
    6. Start FM and try again

We're currently checking if iOS reports 'flightmode' differently to 'no SIM' or 'no internet' etc - in case there is a hick-up. 

Nico

Nico Becke