Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

R1 Issue Connecting to Satellites when Location Services are ON

Thread closed by the administrator, not accepting new replies.
  • 1.  R1 Issue Connecting to Satellites when Location Services are ON

Posted 09-09-2021 14:10
    No replies, thread closed.
    Hi all,

I was just notified of a weird issue a couple of my field users are experiencing with their R1 units. The workflow looks like this:
    1. Turn on R1 and connect to Bluetooth device. In this case, iPhone XR - iOS 14.4.2
    2. R1 will not connect to satellites. GNSS LED light flashes yellow. No satellites are shown in TMM. Tries to connect forever, with no success.
    3. User turns off Location Services within phone Settings.
    4. Connects again to R1 in TMM
    5. Satellites begin to connect, and GNSS LED lights flash green.

The R1 unit was just updated to firmware version 5.47, though this was occurring on 5.09 as well. 
    Anyone experience anything like this or have any thoughts? I must be missing some setting, or is some weird bug, but have had no luck troubleshooting myself.

Thanks!
    Larissa

------------------------------
    Larissa Howard

• 2.  RE: R1 Issue Connecting to Satellites when Location Services are ON

Posted 09-09-2021 16:19
    Hi Larissa,

This is strange. It would be good to confirm what happens if you take TMM out of the mix, i.e. switch R1 on and see if it acquires satellites without launching and connecting to the receiver with TMM. On iOS the location services are populated direct from the receiver over a dedicated 'channel', this should be unaffected by connected software. Indeed, R1 should connect to satellites and receive positions even when not connected to a device over Bluetooth.

Best Regards,

Mark Kellaway

• 3.  RE: R1 Issue Connecting to Satellites when Location Services are ON

Posted 09-20-2021 13:53
    Hi Mark,

I apologize for the delayed response on this. I have been trying to troubleshoot this further and get a clearer idea of the entire situation.
    At this time, I cannot reproduce on my end, which is making this more difficult to get you all the needed information. Since I posted the original message, however, I have received 4 additional calls describing similar issues. 
    All-in-all, the users are complaining of bad accuracy. Either satellites will not connect, as described; or satellites will connect up and are shown in TMM as usual, but the horizontal accuracy is averaging around 20-60 ft and jumps around a lot, up to 300 ft sporadically. My users are using ESRI Field Maps with their R1s, and confirm their locations are displaying way off in the maps. 
    This is where some users are telling me that turning off location services fixes the issue, and allows the accuracy to settle in or connect to satellites, though honestly I have not consistently seen that to be the solution in every case. 

I did confirm with my original user that his R1 would connect to satellites and receive positions successfully before connecting over Bluetooth. Once the GNSS light went green, he connected up to bluetooth, and things acted normally. I don't know if that's the solution, or if it just decided to work this certain time anyway - but I told him to keep me posted on future attempts.

I'm no expert here, but with my latest call, the user mentioned, "the lights are flashing green and they are supposed to be solid green." Something I wouldn't have picked up on, but after doing some digging in the user manual, I see this means that the receiver is sending autonomous positions, as opposed to corrected positions. I have no idea what this means, could you explain the difference, and if this could be affecting the accuracy they are receiving? If so, what causes it and how can I correct?

Again, I apologize because I feel there are a million variables here, and I was trying to narrow it down before replying; but I'm a little overwhelmed now and could use some external insight. 
    Let me know your thoughts or other things I could try, 

Thanks, 
    Larissa

Larissa Howard

• 4.  RE: R1 Issue Connecting to Satellites when Location Services are ON

Posted 09-27-2021 17:05
    Hi Larissa,

My turn to apologise for the delay in responding! I believe you are seeing an issue we have recently become aware of when SBAS is used on an R-Series receiver with Field Maps, see the following:

Problems getting SBAS corrections on Field Maps iOS using R-series
    If the user first connects to the receiver with TMM to validate the accuracy or the configuration and then disconnects from the receiver, they will be unable to get SBAS corrections when connecting to the receiver in Field Maps. The underlying issue is a missing setting when Field Maps uses the Trimble SDK to connect to the R-series receiver with the Auto setting in TMM.
    Workaround: Try to avoid connecting to the receiver in TMM prior to starting daily data collection activities; let Field Maps initiate the first connection to the receiver.

Please reach out to me directly if the above workaround does not address the issue. This has been fixed in the SDK and will be included in a future Field Maps release.

Best regards,

Mark Kellaway

• 5.  RE: R1 Issue Connecting to Satellites when Location Services are ON

Posted 09-28-2021 06:49
    Mark,

Thank you for the information; this does sound related. I will pass these details on to my users and keep you posted if we are still having issues.

Best,

Larissa Howard

• 6.  RE: R1 Issue Connecting to Satellites when Location Services are ON

Posted 09-28-2021 07:47
    Mark, I think this will be helpful for us as well. We've been seeing the same behavior. Thank you for passing this along.

Can you please clarify - would you expect your workaround to still work if we open TMM, establish our settings, then close TMM before opening Field Maps?

Asked another way, are you saying that TMM needs to be closed before starting the Field Maps app?

Also, does the same apply to Collector?

Paul Lohr

• 7.  RE: R1 Issue Connecting to Satellites when Location Services are ON

Posted 09-28-2021 17:58
    Hi Paul,

The settings you set in TMM should be persistent once they are set. This sentence "Try to avoid connecting to the receiver in TMM prior to starting daily data collection activities; let Field Maps initiate the first connection to the receiver." could be interpreted as 'restart the receiver and reconnect via Bluetooth before opening Field Maps'. 
    Collector is 'wired up' differently and will not see the issue.

Best regards,

Mark Kellaway

• 8.  RE: R1 Issue Connecting to Satellites when Location Services are ON

Posted 09-29-2021 06:23
    Mark,

When my users initiate the connection in Field Maps, they get the dreaded "GPS Location not Available" message. Upon opening TMM to investigate, they see the toggle is not on under the "Connect to position source" and must manually perform that step before it will start connecting to satellites. 

Is this part of the expected workflow? Is there a way that toggle can just be defaulted "on" or TMM just recognize the device, similar to GNSS Status?

Location not available
    Connect to Position Source

Thanks,

Larissa Howard

• 9.  RE: R1 Issue Connecting to Satellites when Location Services are ON
    Best Answer

Posted 09-29-2021 21:02
    Hi Larissa,

This is the workflow:

First 'configuration' use with TMM
    1. Turn on receiver, connect to device via Bluetooth
    2. Connect to receiver in TMM
    3. Configure TMM as required
    4. Disconnect from receiver in TMM
    5. Turn off the receiver
    Subsequent use of receiver with Field Maps
    1. Turn on receiver, connect to device via Bluetooth
    2. Run Field Maps, Go to the Profile and select the Trimble receiver in the Provider (you may see TMM flash briefly to the foreground or be asked to log in, do NOT connect to the receiver in TMM)
    3. Use Field Maps as expected

There should be no need, apart from the initial configuration in TMM, to connect to the receiver with TMM again unless the configuration needs to change. If Field Maps can't see the device it's most likely it's not connected via Bluetooth.

I hope this is clear.

Best regards,

Mark Kellaway

• 10.  RE: R1 Issue Connecting to Satellites when Location Services are ON

Posted 09-30-2021 12:23
    It is clear(er) - but still obtuse to most users, especially if they were used to using Collector pre-FM... 
    They just find that "Field Maps" is (disappointingly) less stable with my R series than Collector was"...

Gale Shea, GISP
    MGIS Rep, WI

• 11.  RE: R1 Issue Connecting to Satellites when Location Services are ON

Posted 10-07-2021 18:37
    Hi All,

Some of you will have seen this already, Esri has released an update to Field Maps which should fix the SBAS issue discussed in this thread.

Thanks,

Mark Kellaway