Mapping and GIS Solutions Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

RTK corrections sometimes not working as expected

• 1.  RTK corrections sometimes not working as expected

Posted 01-19-2021 04:52
    Edited by Higher Logic System 09-20-2021 09:00
    Hi all

I am currently integrating Trimble Catalyst SDK into one of our Android apps.

Lately we've got feedback from testing / demo, that sometimes, while using Precision level subscription (link - Trimble Catalyst Subscriptions , accuracy up to 1-2 cm) receiving RTK corrections is not starting even after 10 minutes in a row.

Detailed information form our test :

Device model - Samsung Galaxy S10

OS version - Android 10

Expected - When app will connect to the Trimble Catalyst sensor, app should start receive RTK updates (usually this takes up to 1 minute)

Actual - App fails to receive RTK corrections from Trimble Catalyst & Trimble Correction Hub even for 10 minutes in a row.

This would be completely understandable and it could be considered as a bug in our own Android application - we might use the Catalyst SDK wrong way. However - we have managed to reproduce the same behavior also using Trimble Mobile Manager - TMM, and therefore also inside TMM, RTK connection was not starting even minutes after connection. 

That means we have managed to reproduce the issue using Trimble software only, without using our own solution.

My questions are therefore

1. Is this an expected behavior?
    2. Have you encountered customers reporting similar behavior in the past ?
    3. How long should it take the Catalyst Antenna to start receiving RTK fix (best and the worst case scenario)?
    4. What are ideal conditions for using Trimble Catalyst antenna ? Is weather / presence of metallic objects / buildings known to disrupt the precise RTK solution?
    5. Logically, higher the antenna is, the better will the GNSS signal be. What is recommended height for using Trimble Catalyst antenna ?

In our test, this issue with Catalyst antenna was not resolved even by restarting phone.

It would really help us if you could respond in-line to some or all of our questions, why Catalyst is not working reliably 100% of the time, considering the fact that we can reproduce this issue also by using Trimble software only. 

Thanks & Regards

------------------------------
    Peter Kucera

• 2.  RE: RTK corrections sometimes not working as expected

Posted 01-19-2021 10:18
    Hello Peter,

I'm no help when it comes to the SDK but I can answer your other questions.

1. Is this an expected behavior? No this is not expected behavior.
    2. Have you encountered customers reporting similar behavior in the past ? I have not heard that this has been an issue for Catalyst customers. I'll reach out to the Catalyst team and ask if this is something they have been experiencing.
    3. How long should it take the Catalyst Antenna to start receiving RTK fix (best and the worst case scenario)? In my experience with Catalyst and multiple software solutions the initialization time ranges from 10 seconds to 1 minute. In very rare cases it may take a couple of minutes. Keep in mind if you are in an area with intermittent data losses or no coverage you will likely deal with the issues you listed.
    4. What are ideal conditions for using Trimble Catalyst antenna ? Is weather / presence of metallic objects / buildings known to disrupt the precise RTK solution? GNSS is not affected by most weather conditions although there could be unique circumstances that may affect the signal such as solar flares or an electric storm (you should be out in this anyway). As with any GNSS equipment you need to follow proper field procedures. Catalyst is a lower end antenna so being in canopy, next to buildings will affect your signal. Even if you're receiving corrections, you may not be able to get initialized or if you do the precisions will be very high. Open sky conditions are the ideal conditions. 
    5. Logically, higher the antenna is, the better will the GNSS signal be. What is recommended height for using Trimble Catalyst antenna ? I recommend having the antenna above your head so your body is not blocking the signal. 

Jeff Blanton

• 3.  RE: RTK corrections sometimes not working as expected

Posted 02-18-2021 09:20

Thanks for the response. 

Lately we have been doing again some tests/experiments with Trimble Catalyst system. 

In our tests we have used only Trimble Catalyst antenna and official TMM mobile app. We have observed following behavior - when the mobile device is on a WIFI connection, we are getting reliably "RTK Fixed" solution from the Catalyst however in the field (while mobile device is on cellular data) app is receiving RTX fix and "RTK Fixed" solution is not acquired at all, even after 8 minutes of waiting.

Is this behavior expected ?

Can you please suggest us more materials that will help us understand Fix solution types (RTX, RTX Code, RTK Float, RTK Fixed, Differential etc..) ? 

We have discovered this brochure, and we find information very useful, but it doesn't contain all solution types + e.g. network requirements (e.g. different expected behavior on cellular data vs WIFI etc.)

https://positioningservices.trimble.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Trimble-RTX-FAQ-2020-Brochure.pdf

Thanks & Regards

Peter Kucera

• 4.  RE: RTK corrections sometimes not working as expected
    Best Answer

Posted 02-18-2021 10:29
    HI Peter

As you are working with the TPSDK you should try the Trimble Developer Community - Precision SDK for Android and iOS User Group
    The library section contains the SDK documentation that will provide the specific level of detail you are requesting here (certainly in more detail than the product marketing pages) and If you start a new thread one of the SDK team can respond directly

Tom Harrison

• 5.  RE: RTK corrections sometimes not working as expected

Posted 02-19-2021 03:04

Thanks Tom for redirecting me, 

When I was working on this few weeks before, I remember that this portal was under maintenance, and creation of new posts in these groups was temporarily disabled, so I used this group.

I'll try to ask again in developer community.

Peter Kucera

• 6.  RE: RTK corrections sometimes not working as expected

Posted 01-21-2021 09:45
    Hi Peter 

In addition to Jeff's comments and great practical advice, you can use the SEND LOGS option in the Trimble Mobile Manager app under the ABOUT menu, to send us in the log data from your tests.
    If you add a sufficiently detailed description then the support or dev team will pick this up and look into it.
    Developers working on app integration with the TPSDK should also have some contacts to help with SDK related questions so feel free to use those.

For now If you send the log files in that would give us more information to Investigate this for you

Tom Harrison