Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How do I import a Station, Offset, Elevation file into BC-HCE?

• 1.  How do I import a Station, Offset, Elevation file into BC-HCE?

Posted 06-27-2018 07:29

This question was raised by a customer so I thought I would share with all so you get the benefit

• 2.  Re: How do I import a Station, Offset, Elevation file into BC-HCE?

Posted 06-27-2018 09:18

Woody

This is a common request - I have uploaded all of my training tools on this subject and some example files that you can compare with what you are doing. The enclosed DOC provides all of the details. I just tested this in v4.11 of BC-HCE and it works for me in that version using the files uploaded here. The first picture below shows Excel with Station, Offset Elevation, Description data fields, the second shows a similar data set but with the Point ID as the first field. Both need to be saved with the Extension .csv (comma separated file)

The first line of the data must read TBC Excel in order to work.

Note: If you have the file open in Excel when you run the Import Command in BC-HCE the file will not be recognized - it has to be closed on your PC before BC-HCE will recognize it. 

Note: This file type you have to run the Import command once at least to define the additional settings for the files that you want to import (import as points or stored cross sections, and File has ID or no ID). Once you have imported one file with the correct settings, you can Drag and Drop files of the same type and the using the same settings to bring in more data. You can always use the Import Command and set the settings to something different if you have mixed content files that you are working with.,

Here is the csv format needed without ID 

• 3.  Re: How do I import a Station, Offset, Elevation file into BC-HCE?

Posted 06-27-2018 09:22

I will send you the files as I dont see a way to upload files to this site at this time. I will check Blog Area to see if I can do it there

Alan

• 4.  Re: How do I import a Station, Offset, Elevation file into BC-HCE?

Posted 06-27-2018 09:26

I posted the Zip File of sample data and explanation docs / Training Exercise on the site - I have tried to post a link but that seems to fail

Go to the BC-HCE Community Forum Page and you will find this location (the one titled 03 - Station Offset Elevation Data Entry Using Excel.7z) will give you the download file

Here is the Zip File

Alan

• 5.  RE: Re: How do I import a Station, Offset, Elevation file into BC-HCE?

Posted 08-03-2023 15:32

Hi Alan,

Does the command still work when using an alignment that has station equations? I have tried a few different variation of import and still no luck. TBC claims that the file has imported but the warning message that pops up when you open it says "A problem occurred reading the file near line 2. The number of fields did not match the expected count.

This is how my Excel file looks.

If I remove the colons, from the stationing, then it will import without the warning message but the points don't actually import.

Any help would be appreciated!

Katie

------------------------------
    Katie Byron
    ------------------------------

• 6.  Re: How do I import a Station, Offset, Elevation file into BC-HCE?

Posted 04-18-2019 11:35

@Alan Sharp Is there a way to use this method be used to create points instead of a surface? Such as using Station, Offset, Elevation, & ID to set drainage structures or right way on a road project which has more than one alignment. 

• 7.  Re: How do I import a Station, Offset, Elevation file into BC-HCE?

Posted 04-18-2019 16:31

Hello Gary

I think this was answered above.  You would first import S,O,Z points, then you could use them how you would like.  If you are in Business Center, you can go into help - and search for this.  Let me know if it helps.

TBC Help  

Import Station, Offset, and Elevation Files (.csv)

• 8.  Re: How do I import a Station, Offset, Elevation file into BC-HCE?

Posted 04-19-2019 06:05

When you import a Station, Offset, Elevation file you get two choices if you use the import command rather than drag and drop - the settings at the base of the import Dialog give you the choice to

1) import as stored cross sections - in this case the file imports, builds stored cross sections and then creates a surface from the sections - the surface can be deleted if you don't need it

2) import as Points - in this case the file imports, creates Points and joins together points of same code (or maybe you have to process feature codes to do that (sorry I cannot recall if that is automatic or not) and then it will also build a surface - again you can delete the surface if you don't need it.

On point import - you can tell TBC whether your file has point IDs or not (iD, Station, Offset, Elevation, Description) or (Station, Offset, Elevation, Description)

If you drag and drop a file into TBC you do not get these options and it uses either the default or last used settings from a previous operation.

In v5.1 you will also be able to pick the alignment with which the points or sections should be associated with - currently the file name needs to match the alignment name if you have more than one alignment in the project - if there is only one alignment then the data gets associated automatically

Points or sections get placed on a layer of the same name as the imported file (I think that is the case - it is with XSR or GEN files at least

Hope this helps

Alan

Sent from my iPhone

• 9.  Re: How do I import a Station, Offset, Elevation file into BC-HCE?

Posted 04-29-2019 12:04

Thank you Alan, this works great and will make importing points with station offset much faster... 

Thanks,

GQ

• 10.  Re: How do I import a Station, Offset, Elevation file into BC-HCE?

Posted 04-21-2019 16:33

My first attempt at a TML is to be able to import a csv file that contains name, station, offset, elevation, description, and alignment name so that each point in the file can be associated with a different alignment.  My primary expected use is for importing tables of right-of-way monuments, light poles, drainage items, etc.  If I ever finish it I will share, but nobody should hold their breathe and if anybody at Trimble feels like stealing the idea I won't be mad at all.