Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Grid Sample of Surface?

• 1.  Grid Sample of Surface?

Posted 10-04-2019 07:42

Is there a way to create a sample grid of points on a surface? I'm looking for something similar to the Scan to CAD command for point clouds.

• 2.  Re: Grid Sample of Surface?

Posted 10-04-2019 10:39

Sam are you trying to create cad points from Scan points.  Under Point Clouds in TBC there is a scan to Cad function.

• 3.  Re: Grid Sample of Surface?

Posted 10-04-2019 11:40

No, I'm trying to create CAD or survey points from a surface.

• 4.  Re: Grid Sample of Surface?

Posted 10-04-2019 14:30

Layout a grid with polylines. Then Create Points from CAD > Intersections to create XY points at the intersections of your polylines.  Then Change Elevation > Surface elevation to assign a Z value to the points.

• 5.  Re: Grid Sample of Surface?

Posted 10-07-2019 05:36

Thanks for the tip Steven! I ended up combining your method with the "Create at Intervals" command. I created contours on the surface and used create at intervals to create additional points along the contour lines. This allowed me to reduce the overall grid spacing without sacrificing accuracy in areas of high vertical variation.

• 6.  Re: Grid Sample of Surface?

Posted 10-11-2019 23:27

There is a TML "Surface to Grid".

I think this is the fastest and easiest.

To get this you have to download and install "TML Status". Then check the TMLs you wish to install. Some are free some are charged. This is a freeware.

Hope this helps.

• 7.  Re: Grid Sample of Surface?

Posted 10-13-2019 16:41

Hey Sam,

The Create Surface Elevation Grid command should get you where you want to go. You can find it under the Surfaces tab. It will create a grid of CAD points at the grid spacing set.

Cheers,

Riley