Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Wondering if anyone has used TBC to check how plumb steel columns are from a point cloud?

• 1.  Wondering if anyone has used TBC to check how plumb steel columns are from a point cloud?

Posted 04-05-2020 20:51

Hey looking for different ideas on extracting data using TBC, from point cloud scans of individual steel columns. I essentially want to check how plumb each individual column is at predefined heights above the base.

My first thought is a thin cutting plane at the base elevation, find the center by averaging the points and using this as the baseline for the remainder of the column. Then move the cutting plane up to each predefined height above the base and repeat the process, calculating the northing and easting deltas.

Any thoughts or ideas or past experiences would be great. The scan will be from SX10 data.

On a side note, if you have any experience capturing the above required data using a regular total station without scanning, I would love to hear what did or didn't work out.

Thank you!

Katie

• 2.  Re: Wondering if anyone has used TBC to check how plumb steel columns are from a point cloud?

Posted 04-05-2020 22:55

TBC Point cloud module does not have that option. TBC is good for infrastructure and "nature" point clouds but everything considering the scanning in the building segment you will need to use Realworks. Realworks has a module for checking the verticality and the flatness.

• 3.  Re: Wondering if anyone has used TBC to check how plumb steel columns are from a point cloud?

Posted 04-07-2020 13:20

Thank you for the reply. That was what I was kind of figuring would provide the best result. I ran a scan for kicks to try the cutting plane option and I don't like it. Too much room for error. I will likely try and get a trial license of Realworks to play with and see if this is something that I actually want to get into and potentially upgrade software.

Thanks again!

• 4.  Re: Wondering if anyone has used TBC to check how plumb steel columns are from a point cloud?

Posted 04-08-2020 05:42

Are you just wanting to see things visually or see some sort of report?  You could make a limit box, make the box tight to the column and change your view to see the column. Viewing straight down, aka plan view, can show if something is out of plumb like you can see with wood utility poles that are leaning or bowed.

• 5.  Re: Wondering if anyone has used TBC to check how plumb steel columns are from a point cloud?

Posted 04-08-2020 06:44

Looking for a report. A) Looking to see if they are within their specified tolerance and B) Looking to see roughly how much they have to adjust and which way, should the results turn out out of tolerance.