Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Cut / Fill Label Conventions

• 1.  Cut / Fill Label Conventions

Posted 06-28-2020 17:43

I've labelled some points with Cut/Fill values using "Delta Surface Elevation" but the sign sense is not how I want to display it -

The value is shown as being POSITIVE when the Point Elevation is ABOVE the Design Surface not Negative as it is shown in ACCESS (and the way I've always shown values). 

Is there any way to change this as a setting?

I assume I may have to look at Smart Text and maths functions -

also:

a) can I change units to mm (ie multiple out by 1000) 

b) Colour Label by Cut Fill values say RED / BLUE

These are things I could do in Terramodel quite easily,

• 2.  Re: Cut / Fill Label Conventions

Posted 06-28-2020 18:33

I found some answers after searching under Cut Fill Labels (from July 2019 - thanks to @Alan Sharp)

• 3.  Re: Cut / Fill Label Conventions

Posted 06-29-2020 07:34

John

If you are using Smart Text you can add |*1000 to convert to mm and |*-1000 to convert to negative mm. The Cut Fill calculation is Surface 1 - Surface 2 (or Point Z - Surface Z) if Surface 1 / Point is higher than Surface 2 you get a +ve number and that is seen as Cut and if Surface 1 / Point is below surface 2 you get a -ve number and that is seen as FIll. I am not sure why Access does this upside down (maybe a southern hemisphere thing ....)

This is how the Smart Text string would normally look

C/F: @<ELS,O,F,2,T,T>@

This is how it needs to look to do what you are asking for - note the -1 can be written as *(-1) or *-1 either works. Note also the last True T variable is removed. you could also use |*-1000 or |*(-1000) and achieve the same thing

C/F: @<ELS,O,F,2,T,|*1000*(-1)>@

To be able to select the Smart Text Labels using the approach covered below, you should first explode the Smart Text items to change them to regular text strings (this takes away the smarts unfortunately), and then you can use Advanced Select to pick all Text that equals regular expression [-] to find the negative values and not equals regular expression [-] to find all the positive values and then change their color properties accordingly. 

If you use the Point Label Style to label points with respect to a Surface, it labels Fill points (below the surface) are negative values and Cut Points above the surface as +ve values.

If you want to change the color of the labels you can use Advanced select and find all data of type Point Labels in a selection, that has the property Text and then use Equals a regular expression and then enter [-] to find all text that includes a - sign and apply and that will pick up all your Cut Labels and then you can use Properties to change them to red, and then do the same but use not equals a regular expression and enter the same [-] and it will find all text that does not have a - sign and you can select those and then change their color to Blue. 

If you are using the Cut Fill Map to create the labeling, then you can change the colors of the Cut and Fill Labels in the Project Settings, Computations, Surfaces and then scroll right down the list of surface settings and there you can set the colors of text for Cut and Fill values. This does not get used by Label Points or by Smart Text today, but I have asked development if that could be added to Point Label Styles if we have a surface and we are displaying Cut or Fill as a part of the text labels, and if we are labeling points using Smart Text where we reference a surface and determine Cut or Fill. Note that the Cut Fill Map once created has the colors in its properties and you can adjust them there also.

Alan

• 4.  Re: Cut / Fill Label Conventions

Posted 06-29-2020 13:39

@Alan Sharp thanks, I've gone through and changed text as above,

A further request .... I would like to emphasize the cut / fill values that are out of tolerance (in this case 5mm Above to 10mm Below Design) with say a different text style (bolder & larger) - do you have a TML to do this? If not would you give an indicative price to set one up - I assume there'd be demand for such a TML

I'm thinking aloud but I suppose I could create a Surface using the Isopach and create specifically Contours at these tolerance values. 

• 5.  Re: Cut / Fill Label Conventions

Posted 06-29-2020 14:13

John

If we were to write a TML at RPS to do this we would make it a part of the

RPS Modeling Toolbox and that would cost $395 to purchase John.

From what I can see we would need to select Text, Multiline Text, Point

Labels and Smart Text Labels, and search the text for numerical values and

then tag those items that fall into 3 brackets - High = Cut, Low = Fill and

On Grade = Good and then set the Text Style and Color and maybe layer for

each bracket, and set the High / Low tolerances around At Grade and then

Color the Text values and relayer them and set their Text Styles based on

the parameters entered.

While we could add the ability to do the Point Labeling as well - by Select

Points and Select Surface and then set up the same parameters and the

format for the labels with an optional alignment for Text orientation (for

Road Data) and then a rotation Angle to the alignment orientation at the

Is this what you would be looking for?

1) To change the properties of text and labels that already have been

created (using the currently available tools and

b) An automated labeling routine that labels the points selected in this way

What would the labels need to include and are we labeling things like

Station, Offset, Elevation Point, Elevation Surface, Cut/Fill Value  ? Are

there more options needed?

I can maybe commit to doing something like this once we finish the current

push on TML Packages v1.0

Alan

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 2:39 PM john.mill@xtra.co.nz <trimble@jiveon.com>