Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

• 1.  Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 04-30-2018 20:55

Hi. While the Advanced Drafting features in TBC are really awesome, I'm still a die-hard AutoCAD user and continue to use this package for finishing prior to publishing, particularly for annotation/dimensioning. 

I've got the hang of creating my sheet sets in TBC i.e. x-secs, plans etc. I then export the sheets as .dwg and go from there. Currently, this works well for cross sections and profiles, but I cannot get plan views to come through to CAD at all. As per the attachments, I can only get a single rectangle (assume this to be the individual Dynaview), on a single layer - nothing else.

Please could someone explain where I might be going wrong? 

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 05-02-2018 10:05

In order to export the contents of a dynaview you also have to select the items within that dynaview from plan view to export.

• 3.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 05-03-2018 14:42

Thanks for the response Adam. I tried selecting from the Plan View as you suggested and managed to get the highlighted elements to come through (including all linework, ortho images etc.) which is great. However, I had hoped to get only the portion of the plan that I'd bounded by the Dynaview frame, as well as my grid etc. from the Sheet View in TBC?

This is what I want from TBC:

This is what I get in AutoCAD:

Based on this outcome, I may as well skip the whole plan creating process in TBC and simply export the same data straight from Plan View?

• 4.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 05-04-2018 05:58

Adam,

have you got a guide for this, I cant export from the plan view either, sections are no bother. If I try what you suggest select the items in the plan view, and the sheet view and export that, I get this. The objects in the correct place and the sheet at the origin.

• 5.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 05-04-2018 11:41

I see the same thing Jock. Seems like an issue importing a dwg from TBC into TBC. Not sure if there's much need for this but I'll see if we can have a developer check it out.

• 6.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 05-09-2018 16:52

So this is interesting. Talking with developers this is as design. The dynaview workflow isn't really assumed to be exported to AutoCAD. 

The main issue with that is that the dynaview is just a "viewer" it doesn't contain the data. Development could be done to export the dynaview as stand alone data, a collection of scaled objects. 

For your case  is there much of a worthwhile difference adding something like this as opposed to just limiting your data selection and trimming the photo?

• 7.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 05-10-2018 21:12

Up to this point Adam, I've been basically transferring elements across into AutoCAD to create my plan view/s. Obviously, this is tedious and effectively double-handling, so it would be very useful to be able to export the dynaview contents, and I understand that they would be effectively just a collection of scaled objects (obviously, all layout and scaling would be undertaken in TBC prior). 

I realise that Trimble would prefer me to complete my entire workflow from within TBC but as I mentioned, I still find AutoCAD much more fluid and straightforward for finishing tasks (dimensioning, annotation, sheet-set creation, bulk editing and printing of these etc.). 

• 8.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 05-16-2018 12:10

Hi Adam,

@Adam Tigeris

Actually whether you finish the editing in AutoCAD or TBC is irrelevant for our market in the UK. Certainly in Scotland the absolutely standard deliverable for a Topographic Survey is a DWG drawing with a model space containing the data and paper space desplayed with the survey company's sheet and logo with comments etc as you can see below. This is what we need to be able to produce. By not being able to complete this we are forcing people to leave TBC earlier to finish in CAD.

So when you ask that you are not sure this is required. It very much is - for our market at least.

• 9.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 05-16-2018 12:24

I'm not sure I see the issue here. Currently TBC can export the model space and sheet view with a dynaview of the model space in DWG.

• 10.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 05-16-2018 12:34

Hi Adam,

Can you send me an example DWG as exported from TBC? I simply can't get TBC to do this? As Jock explains further up when he selects the sheet and all the data, the sheet goes to zero in model space, the data goes to its normal co-ordinates and the sheet view is empty except the frame? That's why Jock was asking for a guide? Have you something?

If we can crack this it would be great. I have been scratching my head for a while on it and when you are thinning as much as I am that is not a good thing

• 11.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 05-16-2018 14:32

Yes. The issue Jock specified higher up seems to be an issue importing DWGs created in TBC into TBC. We have a bug for this we're looking at. Opening up the DWG in CAD should appear alright.

Here is a link to a DWG: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Lcovt1LhQxwh_ho-NMhDnlIvAxwcrKV/view?usp=sharing

Here is the export selection in TBC:

And the DWG opened in CAD:

• 12.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 05-17-2018 01:43

Hi Adam,

Very many thanks for coming back to me. This has worked with one critical thing being missed - the grid. The grid is always included in a sheet view for CAD deliverables here in Scotland. Am I missing something again?

However this is great - we are so nearly there in this area, if the grid is not supported just now can I ask for it to be added?

What I would respectfully say is that this selection combination is anything other than intuitive which most stuff in TBC is. Maybe a selection choice on the DWG export dialogue to include sheet would be a better solution?

Anyway thanks for putting me right. If I am missing something again with the grid then if you can put me right that would be ideal.

Thanks again.

• 13.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 05-17-2018 08:35

So a grid can be created for dynaviews. There is a grid style manager that allows you to specify your intervals and labels. You then have to assign a grid style to the dynaview.

However, it appears currently this grid is not exporting. I have entered a bug for investigation.

I do agree there is a lack of some clarity in this DWG export workflow. Hopefully this is something we can fix up and add some info to the help/tutorials.

It's good to have these discussions to know that in your case and locale, even if you did everything in TBC a DWG of sheet and model space would still be expected as a deliverable. The feedback is much appreciated.

• 14.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 05-17-2018 08:53

Okay great Adam,

At least I am glad I am not being stupid this time. It would be great to get this fixed for the grid export so good news the team are now aware of it.

Thanks again

• 15.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 08-19-2018 21:54

Hi @Adam Tigeris. Any word on progress with this plan export issue? There doesn't seem to be a fix in v4.10.

Many thanks

• 16.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 11-22-2018 13:47

Hi @Alan Sharp. You've have been doing a fantastic job of answering peoples questions and I wondered whether you could offer some of your knowledge re my query above please? I had waited to see if this plan export issue was addressed in TBC v5.0, but it doesn't look like anythings changed!

Cheers.

• 17.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 11-22-2018 15:35

Barney - I will take a look at your post - probably on Monday now as we are on shut down for a couple of days - hope that is ok

Alan

Sent from my iPhone

• 18.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 05-11-2018 00:19

I agree, I would like to do it all in TBC and know that I can export to acad for example and know it’s exporting the same and looks the same without further edits.

the other reason I have to complete in Acad is that you cannot put symbols on line string points in FDM...here in the UK surveys are typically presented with a cross and level on points and strings

have requested this for quite a while

• 19.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 11-23-2018 08:14

Barney- Let's take a step back here a second

1) When you export data from a Sheet View in TBC you will get data in Paper Space in Autocad - not Model Space - is that what you want?

2) If you want data in AutoCAD Model Space then you need to export data from the Plan View in TBC

3) If you want a Dynaview Cropped area in TBC as Model Space data in AutoCAD then you likely need to create a Dynaview in the Plan View and not place it on a sheet at all - there will be a further question here also

4) If you use a Dynaview in the Plan View (eg to create an Inset or in this case just a cropped area to AutoCAD) then you will likely need to place it at a scale of 1 in the same location as the original data - I have never tried that but it will likely work - otherwise if you place the Dynaview in eg Left Field then when you get it to AutoCAD it will still be in Left Field and you will need to move it back (so you will need some offset data that you can remember to offset it back in AutoCAD..

So I guess the general question here is what are you trying to achieve - A Paper Space or Model Space set of data in AutoCAD?

Let me know that and I will walk through the rest of this post and see if I can record you a video of how to do this right

Alan

• 20.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 11-24-2018 23:39

Hi Alan - thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Ultimately, I want to be able to finish my drafting workflow in ACAD i.e. border, labelling, dimensioning etc. etc. 

Ideally, I need the following:

• TBC plan sheet views (i.e. from within a dynaview) into ACAD model space.
    • I want to be able to export to ACAD as much data as possible (visible from within the selected TBC view filter) e.g.  all layers, txt, contours, alignment linework/txt etc. etc.
    • I accept that aerials/backgrounds etc. won't come through but I can do this easily enough in ACAD.
    • It would be awesome if it was possible for surface shading and slope arrows to come through into ACAD, but I also accept that this probably isn't currently available.

I can definitely see the time/effort savings by undertaking my entire workflow in TBC and I am gradually shifting in that direction. 

Appreciate your time right on top of a holiday.

• 21.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 11-23-2018 10:47

I will walk through this on Monday Barney and get you answers

Alan

• 22.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 11-23-2018 11:10

OK - I tried this quickly and it appears to do what you want

1) Select the Sheet Outputs that you want from the Project Explorer

2) Also select all of the data from the Plan View by Rectangle Select or CTRL A that you want (Use the same View Filter)

3) Export to DWG_2018

This is what I have in BC-HCE

Plan View (Data is selected - that is why it is Orange)

This is what I have in Sheet View - I created a Custom Sheet Set and then a Custom Sheet (with no content in it and then drew a Dynaview in that Custom Sheet using the Frame from the Plan View since it seems that you want the Cropped Dynaview only in AutoCAD

After Selecting all the Plan Data and the Sheet from the Project Explorer and exporting to AutoCAD I get this in AutoCAD

Model Space

Paper Space has 3 Layouts - Layout 1, Layout 2 and Sheet DV Only (My Sheet View)

Here is my Sheet View

I think this is what you wanted - I have not tracked through all of the Layout Properties and Scales etc. But at least I am getting a faithful replication of the cropped Dynaview Area that you were looking for. You will need to be "smart" with the View Filters etc that you apply to Plan View and to the Dynaview to make sure that you get what you wanted.

I also did this with a Sheet Layout from TBC and got this

Titles, Borders and text all come through OK

I am not a huge expert on AutoCAD and there is clearly some Paper Size Settings that I would need to addess in AutoCAD but I think this gets you to 3rd base - let me know if you need more help in this area.

Alan

• 23.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 11-24-2018 23:54

Thanks Alan. I'm back in the office tomorrow morning, so will have a crack following your method above. It'll definitely be easier to do this with the sw open in front of me!

It seems to that you still have to select everything in Plan View, which I touched on in my first few messages. However, you appear to have worked out a way to crop to the TBC Dynaview. 

In some respects, I have the opposite issue to you in that I feel much more comfortable with AutoCAD, particularly for finishing. I'm sure that with experience, turning out good quality plans from TBC will become easier and I hope to find the time to create a set of border templates with smart text etc. to maintain the efficiencies I have currently with AutoCAD.

I'll try to get back to you over the next few days.

• 24.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 11-25-2018 07:28

The main issue that you have is that our Plan View is equivalent to AutoCAD Model Space and the Sheet View equivalent to AutoCAD Paper Space.

Our Dynaview Content in Paper Space depends on having the physical drawing Content somewhere ie typically Plan Data is in Plan View, however you can also Dynaview from one sheet to another also (eg to extract some sections and place them on a mixed sheet showing Plans, Sections and 3D Views etc.)

When we make certain combinations of selection, we do generate aerial imagery or PDF Imagery for AutoCAD and it will show up in AutoCAD - it is clear that I need to spend some time reviewing all the possible combinations and showing / documenting how those selections will map across to AutoCAD.

If you are wanting to create cropped Dynaviews in Model Space in AutoCAD then I guess we will need to create the Dynaview in Plan View - do you have to have it in the correct XY coordinate space or can it be offset to its true location?

Alan 

• 25.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 11-25-2018 07:32

Also - have you reviewed the A0 to A4 Plan Sets in the Drafting Templates Folder - what is missing in those that you require - I have been trying to build out a set of Templates that people can use out of the box with little changes other than maybe Company Logo - They may not have shipped with previous versions of TBC only BC-HCE but they are included in the TBC v5 Release. If I know what you need or are missing in those I can maybe provide some support around getting you a Template that works for you - you could send me yours as an example and I can take a look at them for you

I see you work for the New Zealand Government - where are you based and is NRC (Natural Resources Council or ???)

Alan

• 26.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 11-25-2018 10:15

I will work on this more tomorrow however this appears to be the case

1) Dynaviews created in Plan View cannot be exported to AutoCAD using DWG Format

2) Dynaviews created in Sheet View can be exported to DWG if you select the Sheet(s) in Project Explorer, not if you select the Dynaview in the Sheet View itself.

3) Dynaviews created in Sheet View are at a scale defined by you - in Metric a 1:250 Scale is 1mm = 250mm or 1m = 250m. If you use a scale of 1 in Metric you get full size. In Feet if you use 1:1 that is 1" = 1' ie a 1:12 Scale if you want 1:1 then you need to use a scale of 0.08 (1/12)

4) I tried to find a way to copy Paper Space information to Model Space in Autocad. I tried the Copy command but that doesnt work. I also tried the Create Block of the data in Paperspace and then Insert Block using the Block created in Model Space but all you get is the drawing Frame not the content. If you know of another way to do this let me know.

The fundamental issue with Dynaview Data is that it isn't really data in itself - it is a reference of other data that falls within a common reference frame - that is why you have to have the Model Space and Sheet Data when you export to DWG format - if you just select the Sheet - you will just get the frames because the Model Space Reference Data is not available.

I will discuss with Development whether there is a way that a Dynaview could be "Exploded" to create linework and break the link to the Plan View Data for this purpose of exporting to AutoCAD - or whether we could support exporting a Dynaview in Plan View to DWG and allow it to be "Exploded on Export" so that it is intact in BC-HCE but exploded for output to AutoCAD.

I do question why you want to do this though if you intend to use AutoCAD for all your Sheet Layout - why don't you just export the Plan View Data to AutoCAD and then create the Paper Space content and sheet Titles in AutoCAD - why are you dependent on TBC to do your Layout Cropping etc? I am not a power AutoCAD User so I dont know all of the tools available that well so maybe I am missing something - can you not simply create a Paper Space Layout in AutoCAD that does the same thing as TBC Dynaviews? Understanding this would help me to work out the best path / course of action here

Alan

• 27.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 11-26-2018 18:17
      |   view attached

Barney

I have spent today mapping data from TBC v5 to AutoCAD (Not Civil 3D). The enclosed document (which I will update tomorrow when I have finished testing all objects) covers what I have found out so far. If you are aware of tools in AutoCAD that to this point I have missed please let me know as I am not an "Expert AutoCAD User". 

I hope that you find this document useful as a resource - let me know if not and what is missing and I will try to address it for you. I will be starting a Blog on the BC-HCE Forum on this so that it is captured there (once my research is finished).

What I have done is also flag for comment items in Red where AutoCAD 2019 appears to have support for additional items (Parameters, properties etc.)  that we could leverage more strongly, or where object data in TBC doesnt Map correctly / at all to the DWG files and should.

Please comment on any item where I may be off track.

My understanding of this set of needs is as folllows

1) Private Land Surveyors work for Engineers much of the time. One of the deliverables to the Engineer is a DWG File, along with CAD Drawings or Plans created from the CAD Drawings. Because of this need Private Surveyors use AutoCAD to "Finish" their Drawings because that "is the only way to guarantee the deliverable is fit for purpose to the Engineer". If TBC could do this more strongly / reliably then this would negate the need to have to use AutoCAD to "Finish a Project".

2) Some people are just more comfortable with AutoCAD as a Drawing Creation Tool. As a result they do work in TBC and then throw the data at AutoCAD to "Finish the Project"

Couple of questions 

1) When creating the Finished Drawings - are you doing that in 2D or 3D? Is 3D needed in this process

2) When delivering a CAD DWG to an Engineer do you want it to be 2D or 3D.

Note AutoCAD is not as strong as TBC for 3D Drawings or Models. It is limited in many ways by the CAD objects. To pass "strong 3D data' to DWG means compromising Alignments, 3D Filled objects, 3D Linestrings, Polylines and Polygons that contain Elevations and curve geometry. These all become chorded geometry or need to have 2D / fixed elevation geometry in order to pass the fills for example. 

3) How do you perceive those known gaps between TBC and AutoCAD. Is there any way that you would see us doing Better - we can output a 2D file, a 3D file or I guess we could do a composite where we output 3D and 2D data where needed to pass the integrity of the data across.

When we pass information from TBC to AutoCAD using XDATA - are we providing enough information and are we passing it in the best way possible (Application Name, Code Number, Data like Name or Boundry Type etc. What other XDATA would you want to see on objects (like Start Station, True Perimeter / Lenght (not chorded). True Area (not chorded area etc.

let me know - this is a good conversation to have and I would like your views on this as a community.

Thanks

Alan

Attachment(s)

• 28.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 12-10-2018 18:02

Allen,

I have been using TBC HCE for several years now.  I have been to many trainings and it seems the part of business center that has the least tutorials is the drafting module.

Is there any way to have a webinar someday going through the drafting process?  It would be greatly appreciated.

I am using 5.00 and so far so good!!

thanks

• 29.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 12-10-2018 19:43

Sure - I can run one anytime - would you prefer before or after Christmas - I can organize one for early nexxt week if you want one this side of the year end.

Alan

• 30.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 12-11-2018 04:47

If we could do one next week that would be great!!

Thanks for the help!

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018, 9:43 PM alan_sharp@trimble.com <trimble@jiveon.com>

• 31.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 12-11-2018 09:49

I set one up for Tuesday 8-930am PST on 18th Dec - not sure where you are

based and hope that that time works for you.

Alan

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 4:48 AM robstein80@gmail.com <trimble@jiveon.com>

• 32.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 12-11-2018 10:02

That sounds perfect thank you!!

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018, 11:50 AM alan_sharp@trimble.com <trimble@jiveon.com>

• 33.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 12-11-2018 15:44

How would I go about finding the session?

Thanks!!

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018, 11:50 AM alan_sharp@trimble.com <trimble@jiveon.com>

• 34.  Re: Export Plan Sheets from TBC to Autodesk

Posted 12-11-2018 15:50

Go to the Forum and in the Upcoming Events you will find the details (To

Right of the TBC Construction Forum or on the Main Forum - either works

Alan

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 3:44 PM robstein80@gmail.com <trimble@jiveon.com>