Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Convert TIN to Linework

• 1.  Convert TIN to Linework

Posted 02-13-2019 21:19

Hi, Does anyone have a solution for converting surface TIN to linework?

I have a customer that requires the TIN to be displayed in SCS900 as a layer that can be turned on and off. 

So fa we have tried exporting the surface as a dxf and bring it back in. however this is 3D faces and won't display in SCS900. 

The only work around I can come up with is to export dxf, import dxf, use the convert to line string macro. This work around will not work as I need a solution for Surface Modelling Edition. 

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  Re: Convert TIN to Linework

Posted 02-14-2019 08:56

Have you tried exporting a ttm surface from TBC, and importing it to the SCS900  ?

• 3.  Re: Convert TIN to Linework

Posted 02-14-2019 15:35

Hi Juan, its not the surface that I am chasing. Its the visibility of the mesh. and being able to turn it on and off as a layer.

• 4.  Re: Convert TIN to Linework

Posted 02-21-2019 09:15

Allison,

Are you looking for just the triangle mesh to be visible as layer? Export as XML, Import and use those lines as the layer. Do you have the file so I can take a look?

• 5.  Re: Convert TIN to Linework

Posted 02-21-2019 12:59

Allison: If I may jump in here with a "workaround" I use because I only have the Surface Modeling license.

Workflow:

Export the surface as an XML. as Erik says.

Create an empty project and drag the XML in. Turn off the surface. That leaves the linework. Export the linework as a DXF. New project and import the DXF. This will come in as 3D Polylines.

The next step sounds confusing but is pretty easy. It will convert all 3D polylines to linestrings at once.

Somewhere on the screen away from the tin lines create a text something like "100.000"

Click on Elevate Line (Data Prep Tab, Elevate, Lines).

Select the top option "Text Insertion". In the rest of that command window set the offset tolerance to .001 and the base elevation to 0.

Select your Text (ie "100.000")

Select ALL your tin polylines in the Lines box.

Hit apply.

All polylines become linestrings.

Export happily to SCS900.

Hope this helps/works.

Marshall