Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Flatten Linestring

• 1.  Flatten Linestring

Posted 08-14-2019 05:13

Is there a method/command to quickly and easily remove all vertical information from a portion of a linestring similar to the ACAD feature line flatten command? Currently, I've been breaking out the portion in question and using the Change Elevation - Undefined to remove all vert information, then re-elevating the line at the ends, re-joining, then performing the edits for longer portions with lots of vert info. Obviously, for shorter portions, deleting vpi's or assigning ? to horiz nodes works but for longer, vert info heavy portions that method is painful and time consuming. 

• 2.  Re: Flatten Linestring

Posted 08-14-2019 12:27

Richard

You are using the tools that are available - Change Elevation allows you to convert a Linestring from 3D to Undefined for its entire length (but not a part of the line), and Edit Linestring allows you to edit Nodes in the Horizontal that have a vertical Elevation or VPIs in the Vertical tab.  I don't know of a way to set elevations undefined for a portion of a linestring other than to break it at the ends of the undefined segment(s) and then set that to undefined and then join it back together again as I think you are doing.

Alan

• 3.  Re: Flatten Linestring

Posted 08-14-2019 13:14

Thanks for responding Alan. That's what I suspected.

Then let's add that functionality to the request list. Or maybe part of a TML utility pack for Rockpile/others.

Same functionality as: Civil3D - Feature Lines - Flatten. 

Basically, the routine creates a constant slope between two selected locations on a linestring/feature line. Very convenient when making changes.

Thanks again.

#enhancement request

• 4.  Re: Flatten Linestring

Posted 08-14-2019 16:17

I like this idea. I have seen the need for something like this myself. 

• 5.  Re: Flatten Linestring

Posted 08-23-2019 05:49

@Alan Sharp

So here's a perfect example why a "flatten" like routine would be extremely useful and a time saver. 

Engineer changed curbline between A and B

Current workflow:

<Break> at A

<Break> at B

<Change Elevation> - undefined

<Join> at A

<Join> at B

<Edit>

New workflow:

<Flatten Linestring> - pick A, pick B

<Edit>

Please consider #enhancementrequest or #tml