Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Deleting Objects with Layer Manager open causing system instability

• 1.  Deleting Objects with Layer Manager open causing system instability

Posted 02-16-2019 09:29

More often than not, when deleting objects with the layer manager open (un-docked), the system hangs, then either the Layer Manager or the Program crashes. This is killing production as a restart of TBC is required to get the program to respond as expected nearly every time I forget to close the Layer Manager having used the Select Layer Members command in the Layer Manager. 

I estimate:

System hangs 80%+ of the times delete is called with the Layer Manager open. Of the hangs, Layer Manager crashes 80% of the time and TBC crashes 15% of the time. The 5% that the system returns to operational is very "laggy". A restart of TBC returns the system to normal.

Please advise if there is a log, etc that you need to confirm the issue.

Thank you.

• 2.  Re: Deleting Objects with Layer Manager open causing system instability

Posted 02-20-2019 15:14

Can someone try to duplicate the issue so's I know I'm not off my rocker? Thanks 

• 3.  Re: Deleting Objects with Layer Manager open causing system instability

Posted 02-21-2019 08:39

@Richard Tyndall, I just tried duplicating your issue and it appears that I have the same problem as you.

TBC v5.00.2:

I opened layer manager, used the icon in layer manager to select all objects on a layer, then deleted those objects.  The program froze for a minute then closed on its own.

I tried using the Select by layer command located on the Home ribbon and then deleting the objects.  If I had layer manager closed it worked properly, if I had layer manager open it crashed again.

I feel your pain, friend.  Good luck.

#bug_report

• 4.  Re: Deleting Objects with Layer Manager open causing system instability

Posted 02-21-2019 11:02

Thanks for your input Wayne

@Alan Sharp we now have 2 definites and one probable user with this issue. Please notify the proper parties at TBC development for a fix, or let us know what we may be doing wrong so as to help prevent the issue in the future. Thank you.

• 5.  Re: Deleting Objects with Layer Manager open causing system instability

Posted 02-20-2019 15:17

I believe this happened to me yesterday.  I tried to delete two points, and I had to close BC and restart.  I thought it was a fluke.  I just tried to recreate it and cannot get it to repeat. I'll try to remember to watch for this.

• 6.  Re: Deleting Objects with Layer Manager open causing system instability

Posted 02-20-2019 15:24

I had to cleanup a pretty big sloppy CAD file and it was pretty consistent in causing the system to hang and become unstable. I'm betting it's not a fluke but a sneaky little bug hiding in a corner somewhere. 

• 7.  Re: Deleting Objects with Layer Manager open causing system instability

Posted 02-20-2019 15:26

We have recently had to up the RAM on a few workstations to accommodate large CAD files because our systems were getting really "laggy".  Just throwing that out there as a thought.

• 8.  Re: Deleting Objects with Layer Manager open causing system instability

Posted 02-20-2019 16:26

Robert, how much RAM did you start with and end up with? I was having a new workstation built in January. When discussing needed resources I mentioned a number of folks here using 32 and 64 GB of RAM. He had me monitor RAM usage during heavy loads. Even using TBC, Bricscad and Bluebeam simultaneously I never exceeded 8GB and generally it was 4-5 GB. So at least for me he recommended using 16GB of semi-fast RAM until such time I notice the resource monitor shows the RAM use getting pegged. I don't use point clouds.

• 9.  Re: Deleting Objects with Layer Manager open causing system instability

Posted 02-20-2019 16:53

George, my workstation has 16GB currently.  For most of my work, it does not pose an issue.  I believe that the workstations were upgraded to 64GB (if memory serves me) for the ones that were using point clouds. 

• 10.  Re: Deleting Objects with Layer Manager open causing system instability

Posted 02-20-2019 17:43

Richard: I spent some time trying to get a repeat of what you describe. I was unable to duplicate it.

However, I have noticed that the Layer manager is VERY laggy. I also note that any time you create a New Layer (for example in Create Linestring pane) that the layer created does not immediately appear in the Layer Name field. It sometimes does not appear until that command is executed. It stays as "New Layer" and does not reflect the name I typed in.

RAM: shouldn't be an issue (64GB).

Marshall

• 11.  Re: Deleting Objects with Layer Manager open causing system instability

Posted 02-21-2019 06:47

Thank you for your time Marshall.

Maybe it something specific to the project I was working in. I had limited layers on and used the project cleanup routine. Now that I have it cleaned up, the .vce is only 33MB. 

I have 32MB RAM, NVIDIA P3000, i7-7820HQ. While it's not a super computer, it doesn't seem horse power should be an issue. 

I haven't tried to duplicate in other projects as of yet, so I'll have to research further to see if it's project specific.

I have also noticed the "New Layer" scenario you've mentioned above and an overall "laggyness" to the Layer Manager. Tabbing between fields can sometimes be somewhat painful. I like where they are going with the Layer Manager but there's definitely some loose ends that need addressing. i.e. adjustable column width, ability to determine what's highlighted in the name field, overall responsiveness, etc.  

• 12.  Re: Deleting Objects with Layer Manager open causing system instability

Posted 02-21-2019 12:24

I have also had the same issues with TBC crashing while trying to delete data when the layer manager is open. The first time it happened was with a larger CAD data set that needed to be cleaned up. It just lep crashing over and over until I tried it with the layer manager closed. If it was open, it didn't matter if I was deleting two points or 200. After I had the issue the first time, I had it happen to me with a relatively clean master drawing that was all survey data with no CAD entities. Only a few times though. I updated from v5.0 to v5.01 which was the most recent patch at the time and I still had the same problem. I have just resorting to leaving the layer manager closed from now on until there is a fix.

• 13.  Re: Deleting Objects with Layer Manager open causing system instability

Posted 02-21-2019 12:58

Thanks for your input Katie. I bet almost everyone has this issue. They just haven't discovered it yet.

elevandoksi@sitech-metronortheast.com">Ed Levandoski - Forum instructions says to let your SiTech dealer know of issues / bugs so here ya go. Please report the issue to the appropriate parties. Thanks