Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Cancel command for TBC?

• 1.  Cancel command for TBC?

Posted 09-17-2020 08:40

As a Civil 3D user, I find it very frustrating that TBC doesn't include a "Cancel" command. Is there any way to include a "Cancel" command keybinding to the ESC key?

The video below shows that in order to clear a selection you need to click off into space. It then shows a window from Civil 3D were you merely have to hit the ESC key to cancel and it clears your current selection.

• 2.  Re: Cancel command for TBC?

Posted 09-17-2020 16:23

All products work in different ways - when we are in a command we use ESC to quit the command - so if the command also includes selecting objects, what would Esc do then?

TBC has a left Click menu that has a Clear Selection option which is I agree 2 clicks, ot it has the click in clear space to clear a selection which is one click, but if you have images or PDFs or Surfaces in view, then that will not always work (agreed), but the left click to clear the selection is not so hard (having said that I next to never use it ...), but many people of course will never even find that as a tool to use.

This is down to UI design and we appreciate that when you switch from one system to another that there are some things that are alien in the new system - hopefully you come to like the things that the TBC platform does that Civil 3D doesn't do, I am sure even Civil 3D has it's quirks and shortfalls.

We all strive to make the user experience better, and thanks for the input, the TBC product team watch the forum and they will likely take your comments into account for the future.

Alan

• 3.  Re: Cancel command for TBC?

Posted 09-18-2020 05:42

Hi Alan, even if there was a way to bind the Clear Selection to command shortcuts, CTRL+E  for example. I was in then keybinds yesterday and didn't see an option for the Clear Selection. If that was made available I think that would solve the issue. 

• 4.  Re: Cancel command for TBC?

Posted 09-24-2020 06:08

I'm a little embarrassed to say I didn't know about the clear selection command in the right click menu.  As they say you learn something new everyday, I guess I learned my new thing for the day and I can go home now.  Thanks!

• 5.  Re: Cancel command for TBC?

Posted 09-24-2020 08:34

You are right their Wayne - I learn new tricks and methods every day also so you are not alone

Good to get quizzed sometimes as it makes you think about how to solve the problem with fresh eyes.

Alan