Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Use smoothed shells option

• 1.  Use smoothed shells option

Posted 06-21-2018 16:34

What is the purpose and function of the "Use smoothed shells" option in Advanced Graphics Options dialog box? It is not covered in the TBC help at all. Thank you

• 2.  Re: Use smoothed shells option

Posted 06-21-2018 17:00

Hi Steve,

The "Advanced Graphics Options" help topic (press F1 when in the dialog) says:

• Use smoothed shells - Select this check box to specify smooth rendering for IFC shell entities.

See the "Import Industry Foundation Class Files (.ifc)" help topic for more on IFC, and let me know what other questions you have on this. Thanks.

David

• 3.  Re: Use smoothed shells option

Posted 06-22-2018 09:52

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to explain that to me. I am still working in 3.2 and it is not in the help file at all in that version so I really appreciate the explanation.

Thanks,

Steve 

• 4.  Re: Use smoothed shells option

Posted 06-22-2018 06:06

I ran this example so you can see the difference. The first image is an IFC file rendered with "Unsmoothed Shells"  and I have turned off the Edge Lines in 3D to make it clearer. The second image is using the "Smoothed Shells" option. The difference is clear - the second image is sharper and more defined, but will take longer to render and regenerate the first image is less sharp and less defined and quicker to render and regenerate.

Hope that this helps clarify

#ifc

#3d

##bc-hce

Unsmoothed DataSmoothed Data