Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Feature request - selectable layers

• 1.  Feature request - selectable layers

Posted 03-25-2020 05:19

There may be a way to do this already, that I'm just missing... I like to use the Advanced View Filter Settings, and often find the feature of making certain layers selectable / unselectable very useful. 

Is there a way to select a large number of layers and toggle as a group?  At present, the workflow involves selecting each individual layer - there are some instances, where I would like to be able to quickly make only a handful out of a very large number of layers selectable.

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Feature requsest - selectable layers

Posted 03-25-2020 05:56

I would go to "Select By Layer" command and select the layers that I wanted. Following this, I would create a group on the "Selection Explorer" and name it. You could access that selection set at any time after creating this. 

I don't think you can toggle these off as being selectable/not selectable unless in the advanced view filter tab. But this can certainly group some layers together for easy accessibility. Hope I understood your question and was of some help. 

• 3.  Re: Feature request - selectable layers

Posted 03-25-2020 06:05

Hi Nick,

It's more about being able to select objects on layers in certain view filters... so I want to be able to have a view contianing a large number of layers, only some of which are actually selectable. 

I find this to be a useful feature for a number of tasks, but having to individually click on each layer to toggle "selectability" is a bit time consuming... it would be handy to highlight a range of layers and toggle them as a group within the advanced view filter.

• 4.  Re: Feature request - selectable layers

Posted 03-25-2020 07:04

If you create a View Filter, and then set that View Filter on a View, you can open Advanced View Filter Settings (Icon Top Left in VFM), and in there you can set the layers that you want ti be non selectable (ie uncheck the selectable check box). When that View Filter is active then you cannot select objects on the layers that you made non selectable. Sounds like that is what you are trying to achieve here.

I noticed that if you group select layers in the Advanced View Filter you can turn off their display property as a group but not their selectable property - I will get that addressed today. That is a defect I would say.

Alan

• 5.  Re: Feature request - selectable layers

Posted 03-25-2020 07:11

Hi Alan,

Yes, this is my current workflow.  The feature I was hoping for was to be able to highlight a larger range of layers (eg - select first layer and shift-select, or ctrl-select additioanl layers, or even drag down a list), and then toggle selectability of the entire selection.  This would be instead of the current workflow of individually scrolling and clicking each individual layer.

An alternative would be a global toggle... so you could globally switch all layers from selectable to non-selectable in the advance view filter.  In the case where I only want to be able to select a few layers out of the entire list, I could then globally make them all un-selectable, and then simply switch back the ones I want.

Thanks,

Stevie.

• 6.  Re: Feature request - selectable layers

Posted 03-25-2020 07:39

If we can fix the Group Toggle then you get the Global Toggle (Select Top To Bottom of Layers List (note dont select the CAD, Photogrammetry etc.) then you could deselect them all and then toggle on what you want

I have asked this to be addressed today

Alan

• 7.  Re: Feature request - selectable layers

Posted 03-25-2020 07:43

Excellent - that sounds ideal.

Thanks again,

Stevie.

• 8.  Re: Feature request - selectable layers

Posted 03-25-2020 07:59

This is fixed now in next release - thanks for the feedback - I will test later today

Alan

• 9.  Re: Feature request - selectable layers

Posted 03-26-2020 12:12

I like to know this as well if I think it is the same thing Stevie is asking. I remember when I used Terramodel I could keep certain layers visible but turn the snap off. I have never figured out how to do it on BC

• 10.  Re: Feature request - selectable layers

Posted 03-27-2020 04:01

Hi Tom,

The ability to do this on individual layers is already in TBC - you need to use the Advanced View Filter, and it's really straightforward from there.

Go into your desired view filter (depending on how you have set up your project), and click the icon above the view filter name,  then simply select / deslect as required for visibility / selectability.  (The icon is the same as that at the top left of my screenshot, and this is an example of the filter window you should then get).

Advanced View Filter Window

• 11.  Re: Feature request - selectable layers

Posted 03-27-2020 06:13

Thanks Stevie. I still have so much to learn with this