Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to copy vertical portions of an alignment with confidence?

• 1.  How to copy vertical portions of an alignment with confidence?

Posted 02-08-2019 08:09

I have not found a super smooth way of copying the vertical portion of an alignment with out glitches.

Ways I know of:

• Within in the alignment editor 
      • Append
        •  Workflow
          • Select Create Vertical Alignment
          • Use The append function
        • Issues: If there are multiple vertical alignments assigned to a horizontal alignment, you get a hybrid of the two vertical alignments
      • Copy from Vertical to Vertical
        • It does not appear like you cannot copy rows from one vertical alignment to another. This would also be useful it certain situations
    • Copy from Project Explorer
      • Workflow
        • Select the vertical component of an alignment
        • Use the command function
        • Set whether you want it to relayer or not
          • Relayering at least gives you an idea of which vertical is the new
      • Issues: The vertical is copied however it has the same name as the old and there is no way of telling which is the new and which is the old without soem digging
      • This is the closet to being the easiest process
      • Recommendation
        • The new vertical alignment needs a suffix of (2), pretty standard in TBC and most computer copy commands, so that the user knows this is the new alignment
    • Macro
      • Maybe this would be a good case for a macro as a short term fix

• 2.  Re: How to copy vertical portions of an alignment with confidence?

Posted 02-08-2019 14:45

Patrick

After you Copy Objects, use Properties to change the name of the Copy.  Hetner's Proposed.

• 3.  Re: How to copy vertical portions of an alignment with confidence?

Posted 02-09-2019 05:07

That is good to know Tim. Thank you.

So the new vertical alignment will always be selected after the copy function has been run. This concurs what I was seeing yesterday but figured I would asked to cover my basis and ask. What was throwing me off with this is that some of my corridors would update when I changed the name and I thought this was odd because it should not technically be tied to anything because it was just created.

I am little surprised that you can have alignments with the same name especially with so many potential dependent components relaying on the alignments. 

• 4.  Re: How to copy vertical portions of an alignment with confidence?

Posted 02-18-2019 04:23

I would like to put in an #enhancementrequest to add a suffix character to the end of a copied alignment in the future please to keep the names unique. i.e. Road (2)

Thank you!

• 5.  Re: How to copy vertical portions of an alignment with confidence?

Posted 11-09-2020 11:50

Patrick, 

I'm not sure if ever figured anything out on this, but the method I use to copy finish grade VAL to a subgrade VAL is as follows.

-Copy & Relayer the alignment

-Rename new HAL & VAL

-Open Profile view and Move VAL desired amount vertically 

The main advantage to this method is when using a VAL with vertical curves, they are not lost and converted to approximations; as is the case when using the Offset command.

Seems like there should be an HAL property set for VALs. That would allow you apply/change the HAL associated with a VAL.