Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

NEED - Layer Manager - Search or Filter Bar

• 1.  NEED - Layer Manager - Search or Filter Bar

Posted 10-21-2020 06:20

Something that would dramatically improve the UI/UX of the layer manager is a search or filter bar for working through the layers list. 

Please strongly consider as this is something Civil3D has had for a while and it dramatically speeds up working within the layer manager. The coding of this is not that complicated either, filters the list off of input. 

• 2.  Re: NEED - Layer Manager - Search or Filter Bar

Posted 10-22-2020 00:10

Very good idea. I just don't see that happening soon. They haven't even managed to change the columns to Autosize or at least adjustable yet, which should just be a change of the table form property in Visual Studio.

• 3.  Re: NEED - Layer Manager - Search or Filter Bar

Posted 10-22-2020 09:39

Yes indeed a search would be great.  Even if it was just that I could start typing and it would jump down the list to that letter it would be better than it is now.  

and it really needs to be a Trimble developed update, not another locked third party orange text update.

• 4.  Re: NEED - Layer Manager - Search or Filter Bar

Posted 10-22-2020 09:58

Agree. This is a core functionality item. 

• 5.  Re: NEED - Layer Manager - Search or Filter Bar

Posted 10-22-2020 11:25

I agree.  Would be super helpful.

• 6.  Re: NEED - Layer Manager - Search or Filter Bar

Posted 10-22-2020 11:54

Great idea. Also, why not just use the layer filter functionality that they had in Terramodel? Layer Lists were super simple, clean and easy. Also you could turn on and off snap and lock layers. I liked it even better than Civil3D. Super simple, but got the job done. And hey guys you already have the code in the can. It was also REALLY nice to be able to apply layer lists (layer states) to dynaviews.

• 7.  Re: NEED - Layer Manager - Search or Filter Bar

Posted 10-22-2020 12:42

Agreed. I'd be perfectly happy if the next few updates focused only on UI/UX improvements like this.

• 8.  Re: NEED - Layer Manager - Search or Filter Bar

Posted 10-22-2020 13:46

I think this should be part of a larger overhaul of the layer manager.

I seem to remember reading somewhere here on the forums that the current incarnation of the layer manager was written using the macro language functionality, and I think it's a bit too complex/heavy to be implemented in this way.

It loads sluggishly, waves of refreshes cascading down all the combo boxes and edit controls. Editing layer information is plagued with lag, and the choice of layer selection highlight color destroys any ability to visually determine text selection status. Normally we could fall back on feeling our way around blindly with HOME and END, SHIFT+LEFT and SHIFT+RIGHT for more precise control over text selection, but these keys have not been given intuitive, consistent mappings. One subtle wrong move, and something else gets selected, deleted, replaced. At this point, you might be thinking you could rely on the warm security of Ctrl-Z, but NO! That doesn't apply to the currently-focused text edit box, but instead to the global program, mysteriously and quietly reversing some other action you've made previously but can't remember what, causing further damage (although you can hover over the re-do button for a hint).

The modest quantity of layers commonly present in many .dwg files is enough to convert a trip to the layer manager into the software equivalent of crawling through a room rigged with laser trip mines, and it's been this way for an unacceptably long time.

Please re-write the layer manager!

*Mild dramatization added for effect.

• 9.  Re: NEED - Layer Manager - Search or Filter Bar

Posted 10-23-2020 02:15

Total agree, also a roll-up of the groups would be good, similar to the corridor instruction comments