Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

TBC Rail Template for Cant & Twist

• 1.  TBC Rail Template for Cant & Twist

Posted 02-06-2020 09:37

Has anyone use TBC to check the cant & twist on a railway line

Also, how do you build a earthworks template for rail base on the centerline of the track

Image result for rail earthworks cross section

Related image

• 2.  Re: TBC Rail Template for Cant & Twist

Posted 02-06-2020 12:26

Matt Moss at Trimble would be a good person to discuss this with he is the grand pubah of railway models and rail measurements etc. and is also good at TBC. The can't is not an issue in TBC but the twist - I am assuming you mean the rotation of the rails - but I am no expert once you get to the track itself - I just called Matt and left him a VM will let you know when I hear back from.him

Modeling from center line of the track should be no different to modeling from centerline of the road  - if the cant is from Left to Right Rail or vice versa - you can compute one side with positive slope and the other with negative slope between the rails or across the sleepers / ties. 

The twist I would have to see the spec on that to work that out for you

Alan

Alan

• 3.  Re: TBC Rail Template for Cant & Twist

Posted 02-06-2020 14:16

Gavin

Matt tells me that building models where the Track Centerline is your starting point is possible, but it is harder work than building the models of the Rail Strings if you can get them. The recommendation is ask the designer to provide you with the Rail Strings for each Track that you are looking at and those are the best and easiest starting point for the model.

Matt tells me that the Twist of the Track is easy to measure and validate with the GEDO system and he would be more than happy to talk through this with you. He tells me that it is the error between the Track CANT and the Design CANT as measured over 3m (the distance between the bogies of the train carriages - if it gets beyond the allowable tolerances (which are based off a standard that uses the curvature of the track and the speed design for the track) then it is cause for derailment of trains. The GEDO system was designed to tackle this specific problem and Matt is very familiar with the process involved.

If you want to send me your contact details (alan_sharp@rockpilesolutions.com) I would be more than happy to connect you to Matt as a follow up.

Alan 

• 4.  Re: TBC Rail Template for Cant & Twist

Posted 02-07-2020 00:55

Thanks, Alan that would be much appreciated my email is gavin.jones@downer.co.nz