Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Anyone having trouble importing cad Files to BCHCE to find missing line work or information? I can see that the data exists in DWG trueview but once imported the data is not there.

• 1.  Anyone having trouble importing cad Files to BCHCE to find missing line work or information? I can see that the data exists in DWG trueview but once imported the data is not there.

Posted 05-11-2018 15:19

I am using HCE Ver 4.0 , Note that all the services are missing. You can see the main line water lines but the services are not there. The layers are on, and verified the layer names in TRue view. Is there a fix for this ? Kinda critical information.View of road in trimbleVeiw of rod in DWG TRue View

• 2.  Re: Anyone having trouble importing cad Files to BCHCE to find missing line work or information? I can see that the data exists in DWG trueview but once imported the data is not there.

Posted 05-14-2018 12:36

Hi Cain,

I'm sorry you are having trouble. Since there are some DWG objects that TBC does not read, we would need to review your project and/or the DWG files. Please contact your dealer and send him the files so he can open a Support ticket with Trimble if needed. Thank you.

David

• 3.  Re: Anyone having trouble importing cad Files to BCHCE to find missing line work or information? I can see that the data exists in DWG trueview but once imported the data is not there.

Posted 05-14-2018 12:53

Usually this is due to proxy objects in Civil3d. TBC can not handle proxy objects. That't why sometimes you get Aeccland... boxes when you import CADs.

• 4.  Re: Anyone having trouble importing cad Files to BCHCE to find missing line work or information? I can see that the data exists in DWG trueview but once imported the data is not there.

Posted 05-20-2018 13:46

Have the sender export all the data you need to Autocad not Civil3d and the objects will be binded to the .dwg file and you should be able to see them.

• 5.  Re: Anyone having trouble importing cad Files to BCHCE to find missing line work or information? I can see that the data exists in DWG trueview but once imported the data is not there.

Posted 05-24-2018 10:22

Sooooo, turns out that the missing information was annotative. Once the engineer exploded the blocks they showed up in trimble.

It would be nice if Trimble included the ability to see annotative information when you import the cad file.

• 6.  Re: Anyone having trouble importing cad Files to BCHCE to find missing line work or information? I can see that the data exists in DWG trueview but once imported the data is not there.

Posted 05-24-2018 10:28

Thanks for the update, Cain. I have passed your suggestion on to the BC-HCE Product Manager.

David

• 7.  Re: Anyone having trouble importing cad Files to BCHCE to find missing line work or information? I can see that the data exists in DWG trueview but once imported the data is not there.

Posted 05-28-2018 13:45

Today I started another Job..... I am really, really getting fed up. This one the water lines don't show up but the services do. when you view them in Design View, it shows them all part of the same block, but once imported only half the information is there. These ones don't appear to be Annotative, so I have no idea why they don't show up. I am starting to feel like I bought some snake oil.

If this software was a physical entity I would take it out and shoot it. 

• 8.  Re: Anyone having trouble importing cad Files to BCHCE to find missing line work or information? I can see that the data exists in DWG trueview but once imported the data is not there.

Posted 05-28-2018 20:38

Hi Cain, 

This sounds like an issue that should be submitted to Support through your SITECH dealer, but in the meantime, I will email you directly so we can review the data set you are using. Thanks.

David

• 9.  RE: Re: Anyone having trouble importing cad Files to BCHCE to find missing line work or information? I can see that the data exists in DWG trueview but once imported the data is not there.

Posted 05-17-2021 16:47
    Few years have passed and I still run into this problem. Even lines on the same layer will have half of the lines there and half of them not. 

lines that are supposed to be 3d show up with only a single elevation or an elevation of Zero.

We don't use Trimble for any design work. We use it to layout/stakeout job sites or use it with machine control. 

sometimes we can get an engineer to export with "bind, insert, explode" and this seems to make most of the information show up. 

I have spent countless hours making lines 3d again but I cannot make lines appear out of thin air.

------------------------------
    Cain Derickson

• 10.  RE: Re: Anyone having trouble importing cad Files to BCHCE to find missing line work or information? I can see that the data exists in DWG trueview but once imported the data is not there.

Posted 05-18-2021 07:36
    I have imported some DWG files and some portions of the lines seemed to disappear. They were drawn with a linetype pattern. I switched the linetype to continuous in the DWG file and re-imported the DWG in TBC. All was good.

I have also had issues with hatching.

And as mentioned above, some Civil 3D objects are not imported.

Lee Lovell

• 11.  RE: Re: Anyone having trouble importing cad Files to BCHCE to find missing line work or information? I can see that the data exists in DWG trueview but once imported the data is not there.

Posted 05-19-2021 09:02
    Linestyles have lineweights and linetype scales. Sometimes those can be set to weird values in a dwg and can cause graphics to not show the lines properly- you can try the following

Select the option at the base of the screen to show all lines as solid - that wayball lines will be drawn as solid lines so at least you can see them

Select all the lines and set the properties to have line type scale 1 that will likely fix the issues you are seeing

Objects
    Civil 3D is really 2 products - AutoCAD and the Civil 3D plug-in. The Civil 3D plugin creates objects that are not native Autocad dwg compatible- ie they are only usable in Civil 3D - while they are stored in the DWG they cannot be used in Native AutoCAD or any 3rd party software that reads the dwg files. Those objects are converted into Proxy objects to when you save a dwg file provided the autocad setting setproxygraphics=1 rather than 0. A proxy object can be a box that displays the presence of a proxy object or it can convert non compliant dwg objects into dwg objects that can be read. For an example an alignment can have spirals and vertical parabolic curves. Native dwg does not support those. So an alignment can be downgraded to a 3D polyline but that has corded spirals and corded vertical curves because dwg doesn't support them
    A better bet is to export those objects to LandXML which transfers the geometry of the lines in C3D correctly. Same for surface models - dwg doesn't support surfaces - so a TIN is represented as 3D faces in Autocad but to get the surface TIN into eg TBC output it as a LandXML and you will get the su t face in TBC - open the dwg and you will get 3D faces that you can use to create a surface etc. C3D HAS MANY OBJECTS THAT DWG DOES NOT SUPPORT.  Use other methods to transfer the data if you need full compatibility. And change the setproxygraphics setting to 1 not 0 before saving the dwg.

Alan

Alan Sharp
    alan.sharp@rockpilesolutions.com