Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

What conditions prevent converting as-staked points?

• 1.  What conditions prevent converting as-staked points?

Posted 05-18-2018 16:10

On occasion, while processing raw data from Trimble Access with "As-Staked" points I am locked out of using the "Convert As-Staked Points" function in the right-click menu. I cannot seem to identify any particular rhyme or reason for it, and the only solution / workaround is very time consuming. Can anyone explain under what conditions this function is disabled? I would like to avoid putting myself in the situation if possible.

• 2.  Re: What conditions prevent converting as-staked points?

Posted 05-22-2018 04:46

I see this also occasionally. Interested to follow this to learn more. Thanks for posting it.

• 3.  Re: What conditions prevent converting as-staked points?

Posted 05-31-2018 14:01

I have seen this before and the problem ended up being that the underlying geoid model file name differs between the data collector and TBC.

In my case it happens with the Canada HT2 Geoid.  In TBC, the default HT2 geoid has a file name of HT2_Geo.ggf, whereas in Trimble Access, its file name is HT2_0.ggf.  You can view the file name of the geoid you are using in TBC by going into the Coordinate System Manager and looking at the geoid properties.

The solution is to create a new geoid in the Coordinate System Manager that uses the same file name as the one on the data collector and select it for the project.

Hope that helps.

• 4.  Re: What conditions prevent converting as-staked points?

Posted 06-25-2018 12:09

Hi Nicole,

I really appreciate you taking the time to submit this solution. I thought for sure this was going to solve it because most of our DCs have a special, trimmed geoid model loaded and we have to reassign the model on import.

However, I did some testing today and confirmed that no matter what I do with the Geoid settings the Convert As-Staked Point function remains disabled. I had everything set such that TBC did not flag the imported JOB file as having a mismatched Geoid at all to no avail.

I do feel like you're on to something though with there being a mismatch in the project coordinate system vs. the imported JOB file.

One thing worth mentioning: if we export a *.DC file from Trimble Access it will import into TBC without issue. However, the DC file format does not support As-staked points so the issue is moot. This is not a desirable workaround, however, because we can't run certain reports and there are numerous issues with things like resections when you "dumb down" your project to a DC file.

I would really like to have someone from Trimble to share their input on this. I wish this was covered in the Help files!

• 5.  Re: What conditions prevent converting as-staked points?

Posted 01-17-2019 10:43

Hi @Nicole Miller,

I wanted to give credit where it's due - your solution is what actually worked for me, I just didn't read through what you said carefully enough to recognize the difference between what you said and what I had tried. Unfortunately I wound up figuring it out the hard way, but nevertheless you were right and I felt it only fair to acknowledge that.

Thank you!

• 6.  Re: What conditions prevent converting as-staked points?

Posted 07-11-2018 04:10

First change the Coordinate System and Geoid Model for the acctual job on your controller (I have a TSC3). Then import the job into TBC, now you can convert as-staked points and then change the coordinate system back. It works for me, hope it works for you too.

• 7.  Re: What conditions prevent converting as-staked points?

Posted 07-12-2018 09:00

Hi Jeppe,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. However, this is not an answer to my original question and it's also not a practical solution for me. I have workarounds but I don't want to use them. I want to understand why this is happening and avoid it.

To clarify, the original question I set out to find an answer to is as follows:

What circumstance(s) cause TBC to disable the Convert as-staked point feature?

The reason I ask is because I see no consistent set of criteria that lead to the situation. I have gone as far as testing the same JOB file on multiple installations and importing files in different orders and I have not seen a consistent, repeatable result.

Thanks,

• 8.  Re: What conditions prevent converting as-staked points?

Posted 10-03-2018 14:47

Hey Scott,

Did you ever find the answer to your question? And what was your work around, if you have one? I'm at a loss on my end!

Thanks,

Chris

• 9.  Re: What conditions prevent converting as-staked points?

Posted 10-05-2018 10:13

@Christopher Bateman As a matter of fact, yes - I did recently find a solution that appears to work for me. The issue stems from the fact the our data collectors have a custom geoid model loaded on them. It's based on Geoid12B but it has been "trimmed" to a narrow geographic region (California) to save disk space on the DC. In our case, the geoid file name shows up as "G12_CALI.ggf"

I had already added a custom geoid model in the Coordinate System Manager (CSM) using the same *.GGF file as my Geoid 12B geoid model and this did not solve the problem - they have to have the exact same name and file name. Here's the solution that worked for me:

1. Open the GeoData folder on your system.
      1. The default location is: C:\ProgramData\Trimble\GeoData\
      2. If that doesn't work, open the CSM and click Tools > Options to see the file paths.
    2. Copy the custom GGF file from your DC to the GeoData folder.
      1. If, like me, your DC's GGF file is based on a subset of a standard file you can simply make a copy of the base file already in your GeoData folder.
    3. Rename the GGF file to be exactly the same as what's on your DC. You'll find this in the coordinate system comparison report that appears when you import the JOB file into TBC.
    4. Open the CSM and select the Geoid Models group.
    5. Click Edit > Add > New Geoid Model
      1. Set "Name" and "Export name" to exactly the same name called out in the coordinate system comparison report.
      2. Select your new GGF file from the File name list.
      3. Click OK

I don't believe this will fix issues with files that have already been imported, but it should be resolved for anything you import afterwards. It should survive upgrades but I would suggest checking after each major update to TBC and/or the CSM and repeat as necessary.

• 10.  Re: What conditions prevent converting as-staked points?

Posted 10-08-2018 10:37

Thank you Scott,

This worked for me. I didn't have trimmed Geoid, but my DC had a had the name "GEOID12B" vs TBC looking for "GEOID12B(Conus)" file name.